does anyone know anything about yams? or about foods that can help an under weight toddler gain weight?

do they help a toddler gain weight?! my son is under weight and someone suggested this, is it true?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 1:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Anything that is calorie dense will help. Avocados, bananas, yams, creamy sauces, peanut butter, nutella, olive oil on vegetables. Basically anything you as an adult would avoid to lose weight will help your toddler gain weight.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My son had problems with weight gaining, doc said to add anyting u could to the meals....Butter, ketchup, mustard, ranch, etc. Doc also said ice cream for the bedtime snack and through out the day if he wanted it. Boy did my kid quickly love this doctor. lol We also added whipping cream (i think thats what it was called) very thick kinda of sweet and milky. to anything you would use milk to make such as oatmeal, cereal eggs, mac and cheese. My lil one didn't like it tho so we didn't use it
    TiffanyPlew

Answer by TiffanyPlew at 1:19 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• ohh interesting, thank you. fortunately I'm trying to gain weight myself and eat EVERYTHING but I know everything I eat is not healthy for my baby and so I try to keep it away from him. thank you sooo much
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• @tiffanyplew hmm. I'ma have to try that.
    babyangelromero

Comment by babyangelromero (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Avocado is loaded with healthy fats; serve plain or in pudding. Coconut oil is a very nutritious fat; add it to smoothies and use it as a cooking oil.

This is a calorie and nutrition packed pudding that you and your child can make together:

Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings

This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I would suggest avacados, they have the most "healthy fat." Giving a toddler junk food to gain weight seems a little suspicious to me. Be carefurl what you feed your LO because he'll expect to eat junk food regularly throughout his life if he gets it frequently while he's young.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Have you talked to your Dr about his weight & what he recommended
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2010