out of high school by 10th grade?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20081107/us_time/shouldkidsbeabletograduateafter10thgrade

Just read this. Even if it did happen would it really be possible? I couldn't imagine if I graduated at 10th grade. WOW

jessicamelia83

Asked by jessicamelia83 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• One of my friends did it. I graduated in 11th grade. We didn't skip the last two years we just worked extra hard and finnished our classes early.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 12:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think that's when people graduate in Europe.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The way my mom described the school system in Germany was that they went to 9th grade, then they either did an apprenticeship, or made the decision to continue on with school (10th-12th was like Junior College is for us)

I am not sure if that's how it still is though...that was, like...30 years ago, lol.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I would have LOVED that. I hated high school. I've already decided that my daughter does NOT have to finish high school. If we don't have an accelerated program like this, I will let her take the GED as soon as she can and move on to college. She must stay in school, just not high school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I don't know but schools have changed so much with budget cuts. We no longer have certain programs, at least here, for kids who might be interested in learning a trade or skill or art such as wood shop, metal shop, auto shop, music, etc... Everything is geared more toward higher level maths and more foreign language. For some kids that isn't their calling.
    Anonymous

• I regret that I graduated in 11th grade, but I moved and the school system in Phoenix was so dismally simple compared to the curriculum in Connecticut I was bored...so I tested out and took a few extra classes (still managing to go for only a half day my last quarter).

I went on to college to get my BS, and spent 5 years there because I couldn't decide on a major and had no direction.

I have since worked on my MBA, but realized I despise business and want a whole different career.

I think my lack of direction stems from basically only LEARNING through the 10th grade.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 1:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think it is a good idea if the students are ready. But if you are just stopping at 10th grade some kids still need the education. That is all I feel. If you are then going to graduate at 10th grade are they going to hurry up and push you to learn what you would have in 11th and 12th? What about when you go to college? Are they going to teach you what you would of learned in those grades?
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• my sister inlaw she is from germany she said she grat at 8 th grade and 9,10,11,12 was college for her. witch i think i would of enjoyed that ...lol
    Anonymous

• i know my lil sister her school is small i would say about 200 in the hole school but i know from9 - 12 they were able to take collage classes
    Anonymous

• I graduated when I was 16. No problems really. I think it is great especially since they say that taking a year off in between high school and college greatly increases one's chances of actually finishing college.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 5:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2008