Presidential Inauguration - Safe to take the kids?

My husband is considering taking my girls ages 6 & 4 to Washington to witness the inauguration in January. While I agree this is historical and would love to have them look back someday and say "wow, I was there", I just don't know if the mother in me can let them go. There will be thousands people there and some may be crazy people out to get the new president. My husband is thinking of taking them by himself or with one other adult. I just don't know....

Please tell me what you think!

momof2girls05

Asked by momof2girls05 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Why would it not be safe? Conservatives aren't kid killers. Besides, your family won't be the one that the security will be focused on.
    Anonymous

• To the anonymous answer....yes, I'm worried about the safety of my kids. Yes, there will be security and I know they aren't after my kids, but geez, would you want your kids to witness first hand some kind of shooting? I'm also worried about them getting seperated from my husband. Anything can happen, don't you agree?
    momof2girls05

Answer by momof2girls05 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I would be more worried about the large crowd and the possibility of losing the kids. I wouldn't be worried about someone trying to "off" the new president. While there are ignorant people that may want to assassinate Obama based on the color of his skin, I just don't see it happening. This is going to be a historic event and it will be a great day in history. I didn't vote for Obama, but I think it is awesome that we finally have a black president.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I say go. I think your family will be OK and I'm sure your hubby isn't going to let anything happen to the kids if he can help it. BTW, please stop calling Obama black. He is half white and black, bi-racial and it just ticks me off that people are blowing off his other race.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Anon here, I wasn't saying it to be snarky. I am simply stating that there may be protesters, but I doubt it will be violent. I can't imagine that there would be a shooting, but I understand your fears. I would imagine security would be much higher than normal because of the occasion and the candidate. There are a lot of people not happy about the pick, but I really can't imagine that this would be 'the' day. I don't wish harm on anyone. I am a McCain supporter and am not happy with the pick. But I wish our country prosperity.
    I suppose you take a risk to witness history.
    Anonymous

• There are a lot of skinheads and KKK out there but you should be safe but just careful. Obama will have to have double the security at all times. He will be behind bullet proof glass if they are doing their job.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I personally believe that taking kids that young is dangerous for a lot of reasons. They could get lost in all those people, there could be a riot, there could be crazies out there. You never know what to expect in large groups of people. And since this is going to be a big day in history, anything could happen. When you see the president speak the threat is always there no matter who it is. I wouldn't take my kids. Maybe if they were a little older.
    l.bicks

Answer by l.bicks at 12:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If you just want your little girls to be able to say, "I was there" in the future as you stated, go with your husband so each of you only has one child to watch out for. There are going to be hundreds of thousands of people there. On the other hand, if you want to see what is going on and hear what he says, and want your children to see and hear as well, you would be better off stying home and getting the "good seats". The ages of 4 and 6 seems a little too young to me, but I assume you know how much your children will understand.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I can understand your worry. I would take them because it will be a day that in the future they will be proud to say that they were there to witness. I always say to not let our fears interfere with our lives, if we do, we let the bad guys win. I believe it will be safe, I can only imagine how tight the security will be there. Best of luck whatever you decide!!
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think it is safe to take the kids. I know that when I was younger living right outside of DC, we actually went to the inaguration as a field trip one year.
    melittler

Answer by melittler at 12:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2008