DD's eating habits please help!

Ok so my DD is 4 years old 3'5 and 37lbs she just had her 4 year check up and her dr says she is tall and skinny and is very healthy. I have a major problem with her eating though and i am don't know what to do. She asks for food ALL day ALL the time...5 mins after breakfast she wants a snack then another then another and if i tell her no to wait until lunch or snacktime or whatever she throws the BIGGEST tantrum and i have a really hard time dealing with her tantrums...I get really annyoned and snappy with her (i am in therepy and taking parenting classes to help me with that) but, I don't know how to get her to stop having tantrums when i tell her no food. IMO she should have breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner, and a then one more snack. am i wrong? HELP PLEASE!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• You should feed your child when she is hungry. Sounds like she is a grazer. Grazing has been proven to be much more healthy than the "three meals and two snacks" model our parents pushed on us. She's obviously not overweight.

I would suggest leaving a snack plate on the table for her that she can help herself to throughout the day. Carrot sticks, grapes, almonds, string cheese, etc...healthy stuff like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I agree with you. My stepson does that. As he takes the last bite of his cereal he'll ask for lunch. When he's told no he wants a snack. When he's told to wait he pouts. I let him pout. Talk to her dr if youre concerned.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 1:37 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Anon is correct. I would add that you could pick her up some Ensure. That's a supplement that she just might like.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:38 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Her doctor told me at her checkup though that grazing is NOT a good idea...

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My dd is two and a half, and I stopped fighting with her re: her eating habits. She and I are a lot happier! She is offered breakfast, lunch and dinner, and she is allowed to snack as needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• OP, your doctor is not very knowledgeable. I'd be looking for a new one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with her being a grazer as long as you offer her healthy choices. Kids need much more often small refuel meals as they are so busy. Let her eat on demand. I do with my kids and not only does my diabetic educator believe this is the best way to prevent obesity AND diabetes prevention as well. Consider looking into a new Dr. This one doesn't have all her screws bolted in.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• maybe do ur own research about grazers then
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:28 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My 9 year old eats only at meals with a couple of snacks a day. He is a few pounds heavier than he should be. My 3 year old eats all day, breakfast and then many snacks! And the same with lunch. He is very thin, too thin in my opinion. But he's always been this way. He even nursed more than the average baby and was in the 12th percentile for weight. I think some children just need smaller, more frequent meals. I would let her eat, just buy healthy snacks and let her eat when SHE is hungry, not by the clock.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2010