should i do the santa thing with my kids ?

is it a good idea or bad? my son is only 1 but what do i get out of having santa? i loved knowing there was a santa :) but then when i found out he was fake i was sad :(...

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My daughter recognizes Santa Claus if she sees a depiction on tv or in a book, but I don't tell her that he brings her gifts or anything like that. She's only two, and doesn't even "get" the concept of Christmas! As she gets older, I'll teach her that the whole Santa-thing is just for fun. I'm not going to go into the whole "Santa is a LIE and he is NOT REAL" speech (lol).

I don't remember ever being sad when I was old enough to realize he wasn't real. He was always just a fun concept. I knew my mom and dad bought our Christmas gifts. But it was fun thinking about Santa bringing us gifts too!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• so?
    i was sad too... everyone is sad when they find that out... but i wouldnt change a thing. that magic part of christmas makes for some of my best childhood memories
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i agree .. i didnt know what to say after i was sad lol but yeah i wouldnt change a thing of my christmas childhood it was fun while it lasted
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• since he is so young i wouldn't worry to much i woul get what he needed, and maybe a new toy and wrap taht and see what he does but i wouldn't spend awhole lot of money
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 2:04 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it this year except to get some pictures with santa she's not old enough to really understand. However in a year or 2 you'll love using the phrase "If you can't be good Santa won't come" or something like that. I tell ya I'm going to have to use it all year long! lol my boys straiten right up!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I think it's the approach you take that makes a difference.

What we have done is- we left out cookies and milk and did the reindeer food and letters thing (I still have those!) had fun with it. Santa always left 1 or 2 gifts per kid-unwrapped with bows on them and something for the dog and filled the stockings...
    When the kids got to the point of wondering/asking/thinking he wasn't real I asked them what THEY thought about it instead of telling them myself (that's what my mom did with me-let me answer) and then I told them that Santa IS REAL it's jsut different than they thought before. That he/ his spirit lives in all of us when we help others, give to others, or show kindness and they took it VERY well. Now they are teens 17 and 14 and we still do the Santa gifts and they love it :)
    *and we always donate and all that so someone else has a "santa" ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• *do what works for you, but I was not sad when I realised he wasn't real, and my kids weren't either. It can be done without sadness and can be magical :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:22 AM on Dec. 12, 2010