Toddler in my 2's class

I have a toddler in my two's class who to me and everyone else who sees him sees that their is something not quite right. We of course can't approach the parents because they are not approachable yet. Here is his case as best I know it.
Mom works full time, dad is in college, granny watches him, granny has 9 children and the youngest is 14. Granny wants him in this setting to get socialized. He was alone a lot before.

Mom was very nervous about doing this.

Anyhow...this child will not look you in the eyes even if you try to. he doesn't speak clearly, he turns two in April...he has just started to get real words out. He has shown improvement but now is regressing again. He harms other children and laughs like it is funny. He randomly will choose any child to sit on, push, shove and make them hit the floor, or hit them with a large object like a plastic truck. And he laughs all the while.

If you take his blanket away he flips out and screams the whole time. If some other child is making poor choices he follows right along. He often plays alone, he only engages other children by aggravating them or making them cry. A few times he was very nice to them and wanted to give them something.

At nap-time he used to let me sit by him and rub his back, now he doesn't want you to touch him. He will not sit with the rest to each a snack or lunch ever...he comes when he wants to. Doesn't even acknowledge that we are asking him to do something. While all the other children go through the process to potty-train he freaks out to sit on the potty.

I've got my drama queens in class but he isn't like them...I just can't put my finger on it!

Any ideas to what to do? I want him to get the most out of my class as possible but I know that the older they get before being tested for anything the harder it is on them.

I have no idea what is different about him to find info to focus on to help him and his family out. I just know that after the age of 3 things get tough.

thanks!
A

MissAmie33

Asked by MissAmie33 at 1:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would talk to the parents whenever it is possible and suggest he be evaluated by his pediatrician for certain problems. Document eveything before you meet with them. I assume a copy of your questions goes to the doctor too? GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• "elizabr"'s suggestion is excellent. As a mom, I would appreciate very much a teacher taking the time and effort to help my child...although you have to be careful about how you approach the subject, b/c I know some parents can be defensive. Regarding the odd behvaior, this is probably way off, but my daughter has a little girl in her class who has had similar behavior (not exact), but just the same general aggressiveness. I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong either, but later I learned that this little girl went thru 4 foster homes before reaching her 2nd birthday. Recently she told my daughter "I don't want to be (her first name, and last name). I want to be (her first name, and my daughter's last name)." I was heart broken when my daughter told me this. I know this child was adopted by her relatives about 1 year ago. I just wonder why would a 3-year old say such a thing...
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I agree with "elizabr" as well. The parents need to be aware of the behavior. There is def something off about this child, something that maybe a doctor can help with
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010