MILITARY protect their servicemen from the law...Help please :-(

I filed for parentage but my ex who is in USAF is not cooperating and has not responded to summons and complaint. I spoke to legal aid and was told he was protected by Servicemen Relief Act and a default judgement or court order DNA test would be difficult to enforced since he was an active duty serviceman. I would think that law applied to people that were actually deployed. It saddens my heart that he can get away with even submitting to the test. I am a single mom working 2 jobs just to support my son and me. He lives an hour away from me and works on a military base in California. Is there anything I can do? Anyone have any expierence or advice (and no I can't afford an attorney and this was all legal aid could offer me) .

momof4303

Asked by momof4303 at 1:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (-13 Credits)
  • No that's a HUGE lie. My husband is active duty and he was FORCED to take the DNA test for my stepson or he was going o go to jail. He had no problems taking the test but the state of Utah wanted it done ASAP and they wanted it while was deployed which wasnt possible. They put out a thing saying if he didnt get the DNA test done within two weeks of returning home an arrest warrant will be out for him.
    Talk to someone else.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• And yes, I'd just given birth and was not working, nor did I have any other means of employment... So they literally let him do whatever. He took some leaves, was out partying, etc. I can't remember if it's AG or IG, but whatever it is I contacted them. They finally forced him to start paying something.

I'd suggest contacting them. They will really tell you if it's legal or not, and help you in any way they can.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:49 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The military has a good way of fucking with civilians, and "protecting" their soldiers... even when their soldiers are wrong. My ex got out of paying child support for 5 months and his CoC wouldn't do anything about it. They knew he had a family, they knew he wasn't supporting them and they did nothing. If I hadn't scrounged together to sell everything that I could sell, my daughter would have been born without a crib and a carseat. That's how little they gave a damn.

GL with this.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The legal aid is an idiot
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2010