What are your feelings about..

abbreviatng Christmas to X-MAS?

Kathy675

Asked by Kathy675 at 1:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Holidays

• I don't see a problem with it because I have looked up the meaning. However, out of respect for those that refuse to learn the history, I normally use "Christmas" when signing cards or talking about it. On my private lists, I use X-Mas.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• There is a lot of misunderstanding and ignorance when it somes to the term "x-mas" if more people knew the historical meaning behind it they would get so upset......
    Xmas" is a common abbreviation of the word "Christmas". It is sometimes pronounced /ˈɛksməs/, but it, and variants such as "Xtemass", originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation, /ˈkrɪsməs/. The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for "mass",[1] while the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ".
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Not sure where that came about :/ but it's ok I guess
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it. I am a Christian Witch and I abbreviate sometimes....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 2:20 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• doesn't bother me any I always have just wiondered why it started
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It does date back to early times in the church and the languages spoken then. For me, though I do not use the term (even though I know it's origin) because for me "Xmas" is the secular holiday and "Christmas" is the one celebrating the birth of Jesus. We celebrate Christmas so that's what I call it. I don't find it offensive for others to use either term, but I do think that CHRISTmas is like cramming religion down people's throats, so I don't use that one either.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• What difference does it make?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• X-mas is the lazy person's way to say Christmas....for those who find the "Christ" in Christmas we do not do this because we see it as a personal offense to our Savior. He is the reason for Christmas and why are we so lazy to not just write out the whole thing? We can do it and sooner or later we all try to shorten it this way but for most of us, it is wrong.
    MissAmie33

Answer by MissAmie33 at 2:05 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• We are Christian but we do not celebrate Christmas. Even so, I am seeing words with Christ in them shortened a lot more every year. The 2 most noticeable are X-mas and Xtian. When I have asked about it, I was told that it was an acceptable abbreviation because the X is a leaning cross, but I don't buy it. I refuse to omit Christ from words out of what seems to be pure laziness or some attempt not to scare off non-believers, or whatever. I am proud of my relationship with Christ and will not ever minimize that.
    LadyKatya

Answer by LadyKatya at 5:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I really don't like to write or type Xmas, but the only time i do that is in a txt message on cell phone, and i abbreviate all i can in txt messages. But when i WRITE it i always put Christmas or CHRISTmas.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 7:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2010