Should the school tell you, you need to medicate your child if he has ADHD?

My nephew has ADHD, my sister doesn't want to medicate him because he's not that bad the Dr said it'd be a very low dose so my sister doesn't think he needs it. I agree with her my nephew is a smart strait A+ kid, but this year he is bringing home C's. So the school calls my sister and tells her they had a meeting about Hunter (with out her I might add) and decided she needs to OPEN HER MIND and medicate her child!
I was so outraged! Hunter is not disruptive, they should not be saying he needs meds. because his grades dropped.

luv.2b.mommy

Asked by luv.2b.mommy at 12:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Kids' Health

• It is ILLEGAL for them to say that! Call your doctor, the school board and a LAWYER!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 12:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• =O

I would be pissed! That's absolutely crossing the line, NOBODY should have the right to say that you should medicate your child except their DOCTOR.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• That really erks me! Doesn't the school get kick-backs for meds they get subscribed? They should have no place to say anything like that! First off it's rude and secondly it's her child and her choice as his mother. Ewww!

chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 12:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Id tell the school to shove it . Its not there place to say. Im against medicating children for adhd becuz typicaly it is missed diagnosed anyways. how old is your newphew? Most those meds make your child like a zombie.
    Anonymous

• Schools get paid more for a child to have them medicated. That is why schools are the first ones to bring up adhd, add, and meds.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 12:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I would threaten to call the local news networks on them.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• they cannot force him to take it. I remember My mother was told that my brother had ADHD because he wasn't doing well. It turned out he needed to be CHALLENGED more in the classroom, which sounds like what your nephew could use, since he was brining home As, and is now down to Cs.
    I really hate it when they try to push ADHD on so many children that do not even have it. I think the reasoning behind it is that the teachers get tired, and don't have the time to deal with children acting out, or the extra time to devote to a child who needs to be challanged, and decide that medication will curb that behavior. >_<
    Have her suggest he's not being challenged enough, and see what happens.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 12:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I have been in that situation. Bottom line is this: the topic of medication should stay outside the realm of education. The school most definitely overstepped their bounds.

The parent(s), and only the parent(s), can make that choice (or not) for their child. A doctor may be qualified to evaluate the child and suggest medication (and they probably will because they don't know any different) but they do not have ultimate power, the parent does.

I would contact the school board and give them a piece of my mind.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• my nephew is 10 and in 5th grade.
    luv.2b.mommy

Answer by luv.2b.mommy at 12:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I totally agree with FootballMom85 even the doc doesn't have the RIGHT to medicate your child.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2008