Pagans who observe the Wheel of the Year

This is kind of a random question, but I'm just curious about what you do. Do you celebrate a new year on January 1st, or do you observe the beginning of a new year on a Sabbat (such as Yule or Samhain)? Let me kind of make that a littler clearer (I hope!): Do you observe the regular calendar new year only, or do you also celebrate the beginning of a new year based on the Wheel of the Year, or do you ONLY celebrate the beginning of a new year on a Sabbat?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:49 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Both. New yrs is just a fun time to celebrate. But we also do Yule and Samhain.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Yule. Samhain to me is more about honoring the ancestors and welcoming fall. I know some consider it new year as well, but to me thats wrong.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:50 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• For me Samhain is celebrating the end of the year and Yule is celebrating its begining.. I see this as a spiritual rebirth of the world.. I also celebrate January 1st as the change over for the mundane/ fiscal year.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 10:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• We, don't have the wheel, but throwing this out there for you to add to your mix. The Heathen year is only 2 seasons - summer and winter. Summer begins around Ostara, and Winter in mid-October at Winter Nights/Vetrarblot. We don't have a true "new year", but there are a few major days in January after Yule that mark the start of the end of winter. Ostara is really not that big a deal - it's Winter Nights that is the most important of the year. In that sense, our "new year" is in October, usually about 2 weeks before Halloween. It's tied to the moon, not the solstice.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I celebrate Both.

W.Solstice is the Rebirth of the Sun and my "religious" New year.
    Jan. 1 is the secular New Year.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I celebrate Samhain as one of two religious New Year, or more of the ending of the old year, a doorway between life and death. It's the last harvest and thus the last bit of life before the looming presence of a cold death. Yule for me is as well a religious New year too. It's the beginning of hope, a season of light and the first stirrings of new life. I do celebrate Jan 1st as a New Year celebration but it's more secular. Besides I wouldn't miss the fireworks for anything. I'd love to have fireworks for Yule but that idea has yet to catch on.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:01 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I do both...
    I celebrate Samhain as the end of Yr/Harvest time and Honor my ancestors ....
    I celebrate Yule and the beginning of the New Yr and the rebirth of the Sun which days
    then start to become longer...and in-between these I also do Halloween/Christmas and
    the New Yr festivals along with all other calendar celebrations ...
    to me it is fun keeping the new and old together...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Yule...new year for me spiritually.

However, I also do New Years as its more considered the main time for a year to renew in the worldly sense.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Both actually. I incorporate things like my new years resolution in to my Samhain ritual, and then I use the calendar new year to renew them. So, just like I celebrate the spiritual aspects of Yule and then the secular aspects at Christmas - I do the same thing with the new year... Samhain is the Spiritual New Year, Jan 1st is the Secular New Year...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• In my family, our new year starts on Sowen (Samhain). Our return to Spring starts at Yule, as the return of light (Sun) is reborn.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2010