Former Breastfeeder TMI adult content

I nursed all 3 of my kids ages 14yrs down to 9 yrs old and stopped breastfeeding when my youngest was almost a year. You know how so many parent's magazines and shows talk about re-lactating? Well, here's my situation: I had a complete hysterectomy 5 yrs ago. I went through early menopause for the following year. I am done having kids - and I am happy with my decision to do this, as I really had no other choice anyway.
I babysit a 4 month old baby who was breastfed for the first 3 mos. She's on all formula now. My problem is whenever she cries I let down - quite a bit too as I have to change my shirt often. I thought once all the "baby making" stuff was gone and being post-menopause that it would stop (this has been an issue for me)! Sometimes it will happen when I am feeding the baby a bottle also.....

How can I make this stop?! When I did nurse I made enough milk - I was dubbed the Dairy Queen.....GRRR!

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 5:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Health

• Wow you can truly say you have real maternal instincts. I breastfed all four of mine but never had this problem. Call your PC I'm sure there is a simple soultion. I think?
    aitson

Answer by aitson at 5:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Wow, I have not hear of that, but it is very interesting, I would talk to the dr about it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:25 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I wish I had some advice, but I have the same problem. That is why I tend not to play with the little ones :( I've never stopped lactating, and every time I'm around a little baby and they cry, its like a flood!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• it happens... it's all hormonal... i mean men can lactate if they put their minds to it! lol!
    you can talk to your dr about it, they should be able to give you a pill to help reduce your lactation instinct...
    OR you could bottle and donate what you are making... it's worth so much to some moms out there... i know moms that can actually SELL their breast milk... it could be your part time job! (and yeah, it sounds silly, but if you're going to have to deal with it... why not pump and make something out of it!)
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My son self weaned about 3 months ago and I am still leaking. It happens if my breasts are touched during sex and I can't stand it either having other reproductive organs removed really doesn't affect lactation anyway. Im pretty sure there have been wet nurses with hysterectomys at one point in history lol.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I had the same problem after breastfeeding one for 20 months. Two years later, I still had milk and even ended up with mastitis! I guess I could have been a wet nurse in another time!

Call your OB/Gyn and see what he or she can do. Good luck!!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• WOW
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I've never heard of that, especially since you've had a hysterectomy and no longer have your ovaries to produce hormones.I'd definitely talk to the doctor.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:31 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Have you tried wearing a sports bra?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I agree with asil.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 3:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2010