CAR+MOTHER+LIL SISTER=HIT IN RUN AND NO FRONT IN (how would you handle this?)

My car needed some coil wires replaced. Since money is tight and Christmas was coming I decided to park it until after the first of the yr. I cancelled the insurance for the time being and didn't drive it. Right before Thanksgiving my mother said that her bf's brother could fix it for like twenty dollars for free. So I took it to her house and gave my mom the keys. He was suppose to look at it when he got time. I was in no hurry cause I wasn't driving it. Now when I gave her the keys I told her and everyone in the house "NO ONE IS TO DRIVE IT" especially my 18yr old sister, who was there to. I said in clear words "IT HAS NO INSURANCE COVERAGE" She said that wasn't going to happen and told me to stop making a big deal. A 2wks later she calls me crying saying that her bf's brother was test driving it around the block and a lady hit him. The police were called and it was the ladies fault. I got intouch with the lady the nxt day she admited it was her fault so we made the insurance claim. I'm thinking no big deal the car will get fixed, no worries. So last Sunday my sister calls me to tell me that she got my car impounded by the police. Iwas inraged! I called and found out that the police had a hold on my car. So I had to wait until Monday to find out why. Come to find out my sister has been driving the car the whole time. She was the one who wrecked it that day and four days later committed a hit and run. The whole time my mother knew, lied to me, and allowed her do to do this. I made a statement to the police stating that I havne't been in posession of the car. My mother paid the $325 to the car out of inpound. Now I don't know if this ladies insurance is going to fix my car from the first wreck. They are still doing a investigation due to the hit in run and my mother acts as if she is mad at me for being mad. She dosen't have the money to fix it and neither do I. How would you deal with this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• If I were you, I'd go see an attorney. Filing charges against your sister may, MAY protect you from the law. Given you don't have insurance. IDK. But, since your sis has done crap with cars before, then you may not have to worry, although, your mom lied to you for your sister, who knows if she would lie to the police for her. And it might be against you. Which would suck. Either way, see an attorney.
    I think I'd also do what I could to sue my sister, if I were you. Sister or not. As for mom, that would be one hell of a strained relationship. That trust is broken. She hurt you. And I'm sure she's upset about that, but from the sounds of it, not as much as she should be. Not if she's mad at you because you are mad. Though, getting mad at someone who's mad is kind of a normal reaction. I don't think I'd be talking to her for a while.
    If filing a suit against your sister gets you nowhere, beat her ass:) And her 'friends' ass.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• File a lawsuit against your sister for the damage on your car....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• First, you have to let the investigation run it's course. You will have to deal with whatever consequences come from the car being registered in your name. While the investigation continues you could call a couple of lawyers and ask if they give a complimentary first time consultaion and explain what happened. Be short and concise. You also might Google your state name and the words "bar association" and search that website for pro bono (free) help. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:03 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• WOW!! What a family you have!! Your sister is an ADULT and your mother covering up her actions and paying those costs are only going to enable her to keep acting immature and wreckless. If I were in your shoes I would make THEM pay for it. If I needed my car THAT badly then I suppose I would fix it myself and cut my losses. That's a sticky situation. I am assuming that taking your SISTER (not your mother) to small claims court over this is probably out of the question, am I right?? I know alot of people wouldn't do that to family.. but it seems your sister needs to own up to her mistakes. Good luck, so sorry this happened to you!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I would be pissed. I agree about the lawsuit. It's hard to do things like this to your family but it's either you that takes the blame for everything or them.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• looks like it was "stolen" by your sister.
    karensue65

Answer by karensue65 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• File a report against your sister for driving without your permission. Otherwise YOU will be held liable for any injuries or damages that she caused. NEVER cancel the insurance on your vehicle, even if you won't be driving it. Now when you go back to get insurance, it will be more expensive because you had a lapse in insurance and an accident without insurance. Not to mention, if insurnace is mandatory in your state, you will get a fine for not having insurance.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• When I went to give the statement to the detective I asked to file charges but he said it was a civil matter. My sister is completly out of control. Her or my mother wont listen to anyone. I'm sure she will be charged with a hit and run. They were going to have the victim of the hit-run to pick her and the passenger out in line up. When they hit this person they got out and switched drivers and took off. Idiots! As far as the car and insurance in concerned they haven't yet found out I don't have insurance on it. YET, but I'm sure they will. As far as the damages to the car I can't fix, but it's a car. Where I'm really brokenhearted is my mother. I'm not shocked that my sister did this, she's done it to my mother. She can't even drive her car because of my sister. My mother was the only one I truly trusted in my life. She not just broke my trust, she used and betrayed me. That's all I had and she can't replace it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Wow! This is a very sticky situation. I'm sorry your mom wasn't honest with you. I hope things work out for the best. GL
    fairygurl91787

Answer by fairygurl91787 at 2:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2010