Homemade spagetti sauce

I make homemade tomato sauce and the last time it had a little too much acid - my grandmother used to add a whole carrot to sweet her sauce. Does anyone do this? Any suggestions? I do cook my meat separately and add at the end.

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 6:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Sugar will cut the acidity in any dish, although I don't use it. I will saute onions, celery & carrots until soft, then puree them, then add them to my cooked sauce. I do this because it cuts the acidity w/o having to add sugar, thickens the sauce nicely & sneaks some healthy veggies into the family.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Sauces vary in the different areas of Italy. My FILwas 100% Italian and made his family recipe for years. He sauteed onions first which made for some of the sweetness, used plum tomatoes, and when he did a meat sauce the meat simmered in the sauce all day. He did not add any sweetner of any kind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I've heard that you can add sugar or milk to cut the acidity, though I don't personally do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• We use plum tomatoes for our sauce and feel they are a little bit sweeter. I like the carrot idea and will try it sometime.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• ALWAYS add sugar, or honey, or corn syrup. Start with one tblsp & keep adding more until you're fine with the flavor. ALSO, sugar is a flavor enhancer.

In Italy, they would laugh at you if you told them you did not put anything sweet in there to offset the acididty. I stayed in Italy for 6 months when i was 16. I learned how to cook some great food from the family i stayed with. Just add your favorite sweetener & it will taste awesome. I personlly don't like the flavor of carrots in my tomato sauce, so i never used them after the first time i experimented with it. I also feel they don't do a good job with lowering the acidity. A sweetener works best.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:27 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I put in 2 tablespoons of sugar, as well as a whole, diced carrot. My sauce always turns out great.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Add a little sugar. Never tried the carrot idea.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:34 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Not sure if this has anything to do with the acidity level but try adding a little brown sugar and a little balsamic vinegar....it's DELISH!!
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I NEVER add sugar to my sauce. I like the carrot idea. I also brown my meat and add all the ingredients to the meat.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Milk helps
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2010