Preparing a puppy for birth of a new baby

I have a 5 month old cocker spaniel who is on the whole very well behaved. He isn't aggressive, though can be a little boisterous when playing sometimes. He is quite intelligent and is responding really well to training.

He plays great with my other children (aged 3 upwards) and easily calms down when told to. However he also has separation anxiety as he had a rather difficult start to life (this is something we are working on with the help of a trainer)

I have a little boy due in 8 weeks time and i just wonder how we can prepare our pup (Toby) for his arrival?
We've been letting him get used to baby's things, furniture etc, and have even tried holding my daughters' dolls to see how he reacts!

I would never leave him (or any dog, not even my elderly deaf labrador!) with any child unattended, but i don't want to stress the puppy out with too much change. Especially given his seperation anxieties. And i don't want him jealous, or resenting the baby.

Any advice or titbits would be greatly appreciated :)

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 6:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Pets

• Funny you should say you have a cocker... that's the kind of dog my parents had when they brought me home from the hospital. (Also a male) He was my protector & very patient w/ me. (let me tug on those long ears w/out complaint!) I just have a couple other tips that we did to help prepare our dogs when my dau arrived. We turned on the baby monitors from time to time to get them used to the hum & frequency, since their hearing is much more sensitive than ours. My husb also brought home one of our dau's hats that they put on the babies at the hosp., to get them used to her scent. With continued training, & not leaving the baby alone w/ the puppy, I'm sure he will do just fine. Most animals just seem to know that this is a new member of their "pack". They pick up on our cues, and will love their new "litter-mate." LOL- :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Our dog had no problem with it when we brought our baby home. We let him smell the blankets before we let him see the baby.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:25 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The best advice I can give you is to make sure when the new baby arrives you let the puppy be a part of the new babies life. I have a sister who loved her lab so much that before the baby was born she took him everywhere with her and fed him people food and let him sleep with her but after the baby was born all that changed she didn't have time for the puppy any more she had a bigger responsibility the baby. she didn't show the baby to the puppy,she didn'ttake th puppy with her any more. The puppy felt left out. when her baby was three months old while she was holding her baby the puppy bit the baby because he was jealous of her they had to give the puppy away. If you love your puppy don't keep him away from the baby let him share in the baby's arrival and try not to take time away from him. Puppies are alot like children the do get jealous. It wasn't the puppies fault he just wasn't getting the attention he use to get.
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 9:00 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• To be honest, my dogs didn't care. They were fine.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i was wondering the same thing i have two little dogs about 8 lbs and 2 cats..the cats dont want anything to do with the babys crib its already put up and the dogs just like to smell everything so i think mine should be fine but im still worryed
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My puppy is like another child to me, he will never be ignored or left out. Thanks for all your advice ladies!

How did your dogs react to the baby crying? Toby is obviously still young and barks at loud noises, crowd noises on the tv, dogs barking on tv, the hoover etc...so im curious how he'll react to the baby's cries. We are still training him. He will be about 6.5/7 months when baby arrives.
    little.knickers

Comment by little.knickers (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I think it would be a neat idea to keep the puppy as involved with the new baby as you would your older children.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 7:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2010