C-section recovery

I'm 32 weeks pregnant with a little boy and at the moment im scheduled for a c-section for placenta previa. I have another scan in 3 weeks time to see if anything has changed...If it has obviously I won't be having the c-section.

I've never had one before and have 3 daughters. In addition to my 3 daughters, my husband and I are guardian to 4 more children. So we have 7 children aged between 3 and 19.

So im worryign about the recovery whilst adapting to life with a newborn and caring for the other children. How long did it take you? How did you find it? any advice?

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 6:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The first week is bad, but it gets dramatically better every day. By 2-3 weeks I was fine. I spent a lot of time on the couch in the beginning. Maybe because there are so many kids, they can entertain themselves for a while? Good luck to you! The best part of my c-section was the 4 days in the hospital. It was great bonding time. We really learned to breastfeed!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:23 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• yes, I would agree. The first 2 weeks were bad and then it did get better quickly.
    FancyLingerie

Answer by FancyLingerie at 7:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The 1st week is uncomfortable,but i found that i got better quicker cause i did not sit still. Good luck!
    Dezitwins

Answer by Dezitwins at 7:28 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have 5 kids. My youngest two were csections. My 4th was 7 years after my daughter, so it was much easier since they were older and could do a lot of things for themselves (pour their own drinks, dress themselves, etc.). My husband went back to work the day after we got home from the hospital and I did fine. My 4th was only 20 months old when #5 was born, so my husband stayed home for a week. After that, I could do most of the things for myself, but was still having some pain. After 3 weeks or so I was almost back to normal.

Answer by missanc at 7:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The first week was horrible, but it gets better everyday. Just make sure you don't try to do too much for a little bit.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:10 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The first week wasn't horrible, but it was tough to do too much. The worst of the pain should be over by the time you get home, but you have to be careful not to strain yourself for two weeks. You will feel it if you are doing too much, and it will hurt. You will need some help the first two weeks, let's just put it that way.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 10:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Fortunately, the chances are good that your placenta will move and the cervix will be clear.

We are discussing postpartum here, come check it out:
    Recovery Tips: for being cut with love.

Best wishes!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Typically at 16 weeks the placenta takes up 25-50% of the surface area. Also the third trimester brings a growth of this lower uterine segment, that out flanks the growth of the placenta. For these reasons, while 5% of pregnancies are diagnosed with complete previa in second trimester ultrasounds will see 90% of them resolved by term and while 45% of pregnancies are diagnosed with marginal previas will see 95% resolved at term. A follow up ultrasound will be done, and as noted above the vast majority of previas are not seen.
    doulala

• The first moments after coming to (I had to be put to sleep both times) were excrucIating until they got my pain meds under control. After my first one I honestly felt I would never walk again! It wasn't painful per say but the thought of standing upright or even sitting up filled me with the same dread that taking your first pee or poop after having a vag birth might fill you with (I can only summise!). Needless to say, I did stand up OK but it took a few hours to be walking normally and not doing the 80 year old shuffle! The good thing is, for a shit as you feel within an hour of the surgery, you feel a million times better within 12 hours and then a million times more than that within 24 hours. My advice is to get mobile as soon as possible.

I personally didn't rest longer than my enforced hospital stay (2 days). I did housework, shopping etc as normal and I think that helped too.
    M2TandM

Answer by M2TandM at 4:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2010