Anyone else deliver baby with membranes intact?

With my first 2 kids, the doctors broke my water at the hospital. After talking to my mom, I learned that she had not had her waters break on their own either for my bro and I.

With my last baby, I was given a cervical softener and was due to be induced once that had started working. Well, I had to lay flat on my back for 2 hours while the softener did its thing and it kicked me into mega contractions. As soon as I could, I begged to go to the bathroom and the nurse was reluctant because I was so far dilated, but I did prevail. As I went into the bathroom, she started putting on gloves, and went I sat down I found out why. I instantly felt like the kid was coming. I finished peeing and then literally dove onto the bed where I landed on my hands and knees. She stuck her hands under me and caught the baby as he slid right out. No pushing necessary. Hubby was right next to me and almost missed it all because it was so fast. But what was really weird (and answered a question that I had) is that my water never broke, they never broke it for me, and so my son was born in a little bubble.

My doctor told me later that some cultures consider that a sign of great fortune because it is so rare. He had seen it just once before and the very-experienced hospital nurse had never seen it happen in 20 some years of work. Was anyone else this "lucky" with their labor?

LadyKatya

Asked by LadyKatya at 7:22 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would think in the USA it is even more rare!! Doctors tend to break your water before that happens. Probably some who have midwives or have birthed at home have experienced this!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have never really heard of it happening before but that was neat to read! Thanks for sharing ;)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:38 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My husbands coworker deliver her baby with membranes still intact and the dr and nurses also hadn't seen one in real life so they were calling the other nurses in to look before the broke the water.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 9:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Wow! That is soo cool. My birth was very similar to ur's my son was born fast like that but my water did break but i was telling everyone i need to push his head is coming out and they were like no ur only 6cm, i said no his head is coming out, so i got pissed and threw the sheets off of me and said LOOK!!!! The hubby was ready for action if he needed to ( lol ). But His sis ran out and got the nurse and she came in just in time to catch my sons head. this was 20 mins after my water broke at 6cm. it was a exciting moment!!
    britt_howard

Answer by britt_howard at 10:38 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Caul births are not too common, but I did have a baby start to be birthed in the caul. Have been to others and seen videos.

Avoiding unnecessary interventions is safer for moms & babies. Don't break the water ("AROM") if you don't need to!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• You can Google caul videos if you want to see examples.

:-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2010