smoking cigarets in front of a 6month old

ok so last night me and my so was at his friends house, we were back in there bedroom and they were smoking cigarets like it was nothing with there 6 mth old baby right there . i couldnt believe it , i said omg ur smoking in here with that baby and all he said was its cold outside and started laughing. i couldnt believe it , now i keep feeling like i should do something about it. But what? What would you do?

bekkaboo89

Asked by bekkaboo89 at 7:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Really there is nothing you CAN do. It's their house, their baby, their rules. Things like that are very sad though. I've never smoked in my home or vehicle around my children and I never will. That is just lazy and selfish parenting right there.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I agree there really is nothing that you can do except maybe mention it again sometime, but that would depend on how close a friend you are. It isn't likely they will follow any of your suggestions though.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Start coughing when they do it- not in an obvious fashion- and say that you just can't take the smoke anymore that it bothers your allergies, lungs, whatever. Look at the baby and say that you've heard that little lungs are badly affected.

Answer by Bmat at 7:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• A good friend of mine is an onchology nurse. She informed me that second hand smoke is the smoke itself and not the odor. If he is going to be selfish enough to smoke indoors then tell him to go in his bahtroom and smoke out the window. Im not condoning smoking indoors but would def suggest that.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• There was nothing u could've done b/c that's there house & their child. I know it upsetted you greatly just it has done the same for me since reading this; but, there's was nothing else you could've done or said. But there going to reap what they sow when their baby end up with bad ear infections which would be the result of  smoking around the baby.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 8:34 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• That is really, REALLY crappy and selfish, but there's nothing you can do. You could try to talk to them about it if you're comfortable doing so, but that's about it. It's not illegal so it's not like you can report it to anyone (unless there are other things going on that endanger the baby). I see people smoking around their young kids and babies, and it makes my blood boil that they can be so stupid.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My sister is the same way. She smokes around her child regularly. She doesn't see a problem with it. My little girl was born 5 months after her little boy and when she was making plans to come visit I let her know that I would prefer that she not smoke while she was at my house. Regardless of if she smokes outside she still can carry the toxins back in. She chose not to come, which is fine. If the health of my child is not as important as smoking then I would rather not have the company. I love my sister but I love my baby more. Her child is constantly sick ( allergies, colds, etc.) and so is she. One or the other of them is at the Dr's office every week for some ailment of that nature. She knows it's from the smoking and has been told that by her doctor and all of the rest of our family and won't stop. It's unfortunate for my nephew but if she doesn't want to change her behavior she can't be made to.
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 8:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• it is really wrong as he will gety susseptible to numb of infections will lower the immunity and above he is in an age group of learning from u.
    naira768

Answer by naira768 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• That's horrible - I occassionally smoke cigarettes, but I would never smoke in front of my daughter. My mother smoked in the house with me my whole life & I've always gotten bronchitis every year since I can remember.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 2:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2010