Any idea on how I can remove old wall paper from my walls?

NubianQueen78

Asked by NubianQueen78 at 8:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• First you need to dock the wall paper - make lots of little holes in it (tools are made for this) and then steam it. The docking will let the moisture seep under the wall paper and help loosen it up. Then, take a scrapper and scrape off the old paper. It works best if you let the steamed paper set a little bit and then resteam it as soon as you are ready to scrape.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:25 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• If you don't want to rent a steamer, you can use a small bucket of warm water with a capful of liquid fabric softener, or even warm water with a cup of white vinegar added to it. Just use a sponge or rag to dampen the docked paper, give it a few minutes to let the moisture spread, then start gently scraping. If you go the fabric softener route, you'll want to give the wall a wash before priming and painting.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:31 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I used to use hot water and vinegar in a sprayer (like one of those you would use for weed killer or bug spray). I sprayed my walls and let it set for a few minutes. I then took a scraper and scraped it off, spraying the mix on it to keep it wet as I went. I did this all over one house, the people who lived where before us LOVED ugly wall paper.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Thanx ya'll for your answers. Keep them coming!
    NubianQueen78

Comment by NubianQueen78 (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I used hot water and vinegar to take down paper that was put up 60 years ago and then painted over a couple of times! Lovely!!

After you scrape off the paper, wipe the walls again with hot water & vinegar to remove any remaining paste and the with clear water. It is a lot of work, but it works!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Depends on the kind of paper, some will strip fairly easily, others will require a lot of soaking with hot water and scraping. Just give yourself a lot of time, and count on using a lot of energy - it's a tough and time-consuming job!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• steam it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:57 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Mix liquid fabric softener and water bout 1/3 softener to the rest of the bottle water and spray it directly on the wall, you can let it soak for just a minute before pulling paper but remember it is wet so do not forget about it!
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 4:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• I've always used hot water & vinegar. One other thing that helped me is as I pulled the paper down is you will find that it will come off easier from one direction then the other. Once you see which way pulls easiest always pull in that direction. I've been told that wall paper has a nap to it.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2010