A California Question

OK so California went to Obama yet they voted to repeal gay marriage. The media is blaming African-Americans. If this is true ..which I doubt why would that be. Why would the most largest minority group in our nations history now be trying to take away the civil rights of others? Is this more media hype or is there real truth behind it?

ceciandrew

Asked by ceciandrew at 12:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• this is basically trying to say that majority of CA is African American. come on...i live in CA and there are more Conservative Whites than African Americans.
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think it is media hype, and I think that Prop 8 is due more so to religious beliefs being mixed into our laws, making a huge religious turnout at the polls and allowing Prop 8 to pass.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Actually there are more conservative, Catholic Hispanic Americans in California, and THEY are another solid block of voters against gay marriage.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Except for the activists forcing teaching of gay behavior, in the name of tolerance, to younger and younger children, I would have gladly voted no on Prop 8 just like I voted yes on Prop 22. But these activists are blowing it for everybody. (I am speaking from experience, NOT from the TV commercials). I keep my sexual behavior private, I don't base my identity on who I have sex with, and I do not force children to be presented with these considerations. ... Also, can anyone give me a rational explanation of the ways civil unions confer less in the way of rights to a couple than marriage? I would appreciate it. I could not get an answer to that. Thanks, and I'm sorry you were disappointed. Just stop those activists who are trampling on MY civil liberty to have my children learn about sex in their TEENS instead of in Kindergarten.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Well, statistics show that the well educated voted against prop 8 and the uneducated voted for prop 8. Speaks volumes right there.... When there is such a push to "get out the vote" you can't determine who those voters are, so many people who wouldn't have ordinarily vote, did, and the damage was done. All the polls indicated this prop would not pass, but the polls don't always dig that deep into certain parts of society.... It does surprise me that the black population affected the prop 8 vote, but it does make sense since they showed up so strongly for Obama. Also, don't underestimate the effect that all the Mormon money had on the campaign spewing all the lies in their ads. Too many people bought into those clearly. Sad, very sad!
    momofours

Answer by momofours at 12:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Waldorfmom. ...I agree that sex of any kind shouldn't be taught to kindergartens. I guess where I might see it differently is if two people REALLY want to be married then I think they should. If they need the label of marriage to make them feel a part of society then why should that be denied?
    ceciandrew

Answer by ceciandrew at 12:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Are you saying that Mormons are uneducated or that African American are uneducated?
    Anonymous

• There aren't more conservatives in California at all, it is a very very liberal state. It just shows that liberalism does not necessarily go as far as believing in same sex marriage as most people would think it would.
    Anonymous

• The people of California voted for Prop 8...it passed....it is time to move on!
    Anonymous

• Do you want to start categorizing who voted for Obama?...I didn't think so!
    Anonymous