BREASTFEEDING AND DEPO SHOT?

MY DOCOTOR TOLD ME IT WOULDNT EFFECT BREASTFEEDING BUT SOMEONE ON HERE TOLD ME IT WOULD?DOES IT SLOW PRODUCTION?WILL IT HURT HER WHEN SHE GETS OLDER ON HAVING KIDS?DOES SHE GETTING THE MEDICINE TOO?

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 12:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She gets everything that you put into your body at some level.

If you want to breastfeed you should look into non-hormonal birth control, or use condoms.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The only thing I saw on all the papers I got from the hospital when I first got my shot was that it may help your milk supply. I didn't breastfeed so I don't know. I doubt it'll hurt her later with having kids because your body will use a lot of the hormones in it to keep yourself from getting pregnant again.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 1:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i really advice against depo.
    i was on it......no periods..my mood swings were TERRIBLE. i got terrible cramps that doubled me over, you gain a lot of weight..........you get that shot, expect to gain 30lbs at least, some women gain 100lbs..ive seen it more than once , im yet to see anyone who didnt gain taht much
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Ah, thank you moki 1984. I knew there was a reason I re-visited this question.

I was on Depo for 2 years, I loved it, aside from the things that Moki stated above, which I did not realize at the time was from the shot. Aside from THOSE side effects, the actual reason why I stopped taking it is because it causes osteoporosis in women in their early 20's, so if you do take it, take your calcium supplements along with it, and also the longer you take it the higher your chances of becoming sterile. Soo....yeah. Consider those things too.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i had a friend on it who has been off a year and a half and has tried the whole time to concieve and hasnt been able to
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2008