Are you a Mom that suffers from a Mental illness?

What are the challenges in your life because you suffer from a mental illness. I myself am a paranoid schizophrenic. Stress is my enemy. At times when i go through stress my nerves are on edge and i feel like i might be going through a nervous breakdown. But i take it One Day at a Time. Also my meds keep me balanced and able to live a normal life with my kids and husband.

destinys1

Asked by destinys1 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm not on any meds, I am in therapy. I suffer from Acute Depression with anxiety. I'm not sure what it all means yet, but my therapist thinks I'm doing better. It's too bad she doesn't live with me, she might think differently when I'm under any kind of stress I go off the deep end, and that's where I stay most of the time.
    I'm thinking of changing therapists, but not sure if I want to even bother with it. I hate what the depression has done to me, and the effects my family has felt, maybe one day it will all get better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I do not have a mental illness, but I my mother and sister both suffer from mental illnesses. I would like to say congrats to you on taking the time to understand your illness and for making sure you take care of yourself in order to have as normal of a life as possible. I also applaud you for being open and honest about your issue. I wish you well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I sufferer from depression, a low form of OCD and anxiety. It runs very heavily on both parts of my family. It's very hard for me. Just to get up sometimes and do to my depression my thinking isn't right all the time. My first thought when anything goes wrong is to hurt myself. That's the first thing that comes to mind. I used to take meds and am about to start up again. It's like I have no control of my life but just like you I take it day by day and when it's really bad it's more like hour to hour. I always worry that my child will have the same mental illnesses that run in my family.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have a anxiety disorder and have learned to control it without meds, but have Xanax for the times that I can't control it. Usually at times of high stress, when I have my period, etc. But good for you for learning to deal with your disorder and knowing what your triggers are. You have a mental disorder that can be very difficult to control. The only thing someone with a mental disorder can do is take it day by day or hour by hour.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have OCD. Im currently not on any meds because I am pregnant.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Thank you for your answers. I wish the first answer lots of Luck and thank you layh41407 for your answer. Hope your mom and sister are well. Both my mom and sister are schizophrenics as well.
    destinys1

Comment by destinys1 (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Thank you for All your answers. Hang in there and hope it gets Better in the future. One day at a Time. Hang in there.
    destinys1

Comment by destinys1 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have a few diagnoses. Life is complicated. However, I just try to tackle it one day at a time, especially right now. Winter is the worst for me. I actually just started on an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med for the first time in 6 years. But I was getting to the point where I could not function so I went in. I cannot afford to let myself go like I did before because I have 2 lives that depend on me every day.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have anxiety. I would love to direct you to a great group here on Cafemom..this is the link, just copy and paste: http://www.cafemom.com/group/111802/
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have been dx with many various mental health issues before I had my son.. but the older I get, It has become more focused(plus I will actively participate in therapy and such). So now I "suffer" from Bipolar type II, and Aspergers which is of course accompanied by anxiety.

For the most part I do great now, I went through an intensive Dialectical Behavioral Therapy program when my son was just born which has helped greatly. I no longer take meds for my bipolar and function well.

The aspergers is another thing, I still have trouble shopping and being out and about when there are a lot of ppl and noise, it just sets me on edge and stresses me. Like yesterday, my main goal was to get in and get out as fast as possible, while my husband was happy wandering around.

like you I take it one day at a time, but because of my issues I prefer to have everything planned out and I constantly go over my lists and plans..
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2010