When did your co-sleeping baby sleep in their own bed?

When did you start the transition and when were they comfortable going to sleep on their own?
Did you breastfeed and nurse to sleep when you co-slept?
Did they take naps in their own bed in the day when you coslept at night?
Did you do CIO?

Do you regret co-sleeping?

I have a 9 month old, I sort of wanted her to be in her own bed when she's one. I won't let her cry it out so I'm thinking that it's an unreasonable expectation lol...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Let's see, where to begin.

We started putting him in his own bed in a different room at 7 months. This was only for a couple hours until he woke the first time and then he came to bed with us. We nursed to sleep until he was 2, and then he would just lay down with me/us. He's almost 5 now and goes to sleep on his own really easily. He still wants someone to sit with him for a couple minutes, but I'm just fine with that.

He nursed to sleep for naps (and then was laid down in his bed) until he weaned. That was actually the last session to go and marked the end of naps for us (he was 2.5).

Unless you count leaving a stubborn child to cry for a couple minutes because he refused to go to sleep (in my arms, no less) or the crying that came with nightweaning (also in arms)... then, no. We don't CIO.

100% don't regret it, I started earlier and didn't start the transition until later the second time. It's great family bonding.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• my dd, who is 4, is still in my room...she was my first, and very spoiled....my dh workde out of town until dd was almost 2 so it was just me and her so i never left her in her room alone b/c it made me nervous (didn't breastfeed for long) & she napped with me during the day..i had to rock her to sleep

my ds is 17 months old an he just now started going to bed in his own room, he sleeps better in there (don't breastfeed), he naps in his room and gets himself to sleep
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I co-slept with dd1 until she was 1 1/2 yrs old and then she slept good in her bed, yes she took naps in her bed and no I didnt CIO and no I didnt nurse to go to sleep no I dont regret co-sleeping, my dd2 co-slept until she was 1 and she as well sleeps good in her bed, she takes naps on the couch and no I dont CIO or nurse her, but I do rock her to sleep and no I dont regret co-sleeping!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• We coslept exclusively until about 11 months (we had tried the transition many times before that, but we were finally successful at 11 months). Even then, he still spent most of the night in our bed, but he slept the first part of the night in the crib, next to my side of the bed. Then the crib was moved to the foot of the bed, and finally to his room. For the longest time, he came to our bed around 1:30AM, but when we took the front off the crib and changed it to a toddler bed (convertible crib), he started staying in his bed until about 6AM almost every night. At that point, he still comes to our bed (at 2), so we still get some snuggles in, but he's almost entirely in his own bed.
    He was EBF until 18 1/2 months, and I want to say we night weaned around 15 months. We are NOT CIO parents, either. Have you read the "No Cry Sleep Solution" books? They offered some good solutions that helped. (cont)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• cont
    He always refused to sleep in his crib, even for naps, until after the night time transition.
    I had to rock him to sleep until not long before we switched to the toddler bed (around 18 months). Luckily, we have a glider, and he lets me play with my iPhone to keep myself amused! LOL Now that he's in the toddler bed, he's excited to get into his "big boy bed," but sometimes, he still wants a few minutes of snuggles before going to bed, which I think is fine.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Almost forgot, absolutely no regrets about cosleeping, and we plan to next time around, too!
    musicpisces