Parenting strategy

I have always talked normally around my son, I have never used baby talk and( obviously while I do not talk about or explain graphic subjects that have no place in his world) I do in NO uncertain terms let him know whats going on. If I am watching the news and it talks about killing someone we do explain or make understood in a way that he can understand that concept. I never sugar coat anything. I use big words around him, if he doesnt know what they mean he will eventually figure it out in context. My child is not perfect by any means and he is as smart as a whip academically ( which is good because I want him to grow up to be a man that has the beliefs of right and wrong from the olden days. Not what society synonamously attributes with a man now. Most of what I have seen as losers.Mind you I said most not all!

My question is : I have a friend that does not treat her kids like that at all. Everything is sugar coated and you dont dislike anyone and everyone loves everyone and she has just created a total fluff and stuff world for them and while they are nice kids and all I think they act like they have some of the symptoms of schizophrenia. Really I am not saying it to be funny. They are 2 years younger than my son and the boy has speech problems and regularly wets his bed. I think it is all because of this wht do you think. I parent from a realist perspective and she parents from an unreal out of this world perspective. Any comments? What are your thoughts?

NE1outthere

Asked by NE1outthere at 11:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• are you SURe the symptoms didnt come before the babying ?? maybe that is her reaction to his issues? i am a teacher and have seen kids baby-ed and not baby-ed both turning out fine... as long as you love them and TRY to do what you think is right and whatever you do - yuo are consistent... then they will be fine. do all her kids have this issueor just one? i have seen - not that it always happens - but when there is a large family - lots of kids - one tends to be the "stranger" one.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• There are so many different parenting styles. Do the best you can with your children and don't worry about how someone else parents their children. If her children don't get along with yours that is a different problem and you may have to limit visits.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:38 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• This is highly judgemental. I also parent similarly to the way you do. But trying to say bed wetting is related to a overly-optimistic childhood is absurd. If you feel good about how you raise your child, fine. But you don't have to trash someone else. All kids and families are different. Maybe because her kids have issues (assuming you're right), she feels the need to make this a particularly happy time. It sounds like you only have one child. If you ever have another, you'll quickly learn that what works for one doesn't phase the other.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 11:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• parent your way, let her parent her way who are you to say the way she parents her kids is wrong, and yours is right?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Worry about your parenting and kids and let her worry about hers. I highly doubt her kids are showing signs of schizophrenia...they don't include speech problems and bedwetting. Unless you are qualified to make that diagnosis, I wouldn't be commenting on it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Having a fluffy world has nothing to do with speech and bed wetting. And you are rather harsh with the whole schizophrenia comment. Not to mention rude as hell. I have worked with people that have schizophrenia, and you are way off base there. Just because you got lucky doesn't mean it was because of what you did. Kids are their own person and you will not know how you did as a parent until grown.

Your job is your kids, let her worry about her kids.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I agree fully with everyone that has already posted, but especially with mrs pulley.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have a friend who does that too. I wonder if there is some underlying condition that creates the reasons why she creates that fluff world since there are other things going on like the bed wetting and speech delay. It is kind of frustrating when your 3 year old's best friend's parents contradict what you have previously said and wont address the validity of what your own child thinks about the situation. We just talk about it later and I tell her (dd) that so and so's mom is worried about death etc scaring her daughter.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• yeah bedwetting and speech problems were not what I was thinking. While I may not be QUALIFIED to make that decision I went to school for a profession where we had to learn about alot of those things and what signs and symptoms were.............................YEAH...................anyways.......................
    NE1outthere

Comment by NE1outthere (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2010