My 1 year old will NOT sleep through the night! HELP!!!

We had some problems with colic when she was little but got them under control by 2 months and she was sleeping through the night well and was on a very good schedule. When she was around 6 months we house-sat for some friends and she hasn't slept through the night since. It's usually just been wake up around midnight or 1 am and i'll nurse her in the bed with me and we fall back asleep. Now that she's hit her 1 year mark it's not so easy. She still wakes up between 12 and 1am but it's not as easy for me to lay her back down or nurse her back to sleep. She'll want to nurse off and on all through the night and that gets pretty painful! If i try to lay her back down she turns over and pulls right back up on her crib! She begins to scream at the top of her lungs at us (our beds are in the same room) and we go on with this up and down up and down for at least 1-2 hours or until I put her back in the bed with me. Not only does nursing off and on through the night begin to hurt...I'm also expecting another baby in 7 months and I need to get this under control or I'll NEVER get any sleep! If anyone has any advice please let me know!!! Thanks!

kjkwiles

Asked by kjkwiles at 11:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Move her into her own room. By the time the new baby comes, she will probably be used to it and you won't have those issues. She might cry and fuss, but just keep placing her back in her own bed. It works trust me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My son is 14 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night.. and most likely won't for a while.
    I've tried many things to see if they help. CIO does NOT work for him, he jusat screams louder and longer all night long.
    We have a dark curtain around his crib to help block out light and that seems to help some.. he sleeps deeper and longer.. but he's still up 4-8 times a night.
    I nurse him still so that's a easy way to get him down quicker.
    Try reading "The No Cry Sleep Solution" there is one for babies and for toddlers and preschoolers... I have the toddelr/preschooler one and so far it's helpful.

I have a bedtime routine down but it doesn't make him go down any easier. My son might just be the type of child who needs very little sleep.. I'm not sure yet.
    But know that I understand!!!
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 11:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was 18mths old...BUT that's because I'd let her come into the bed with me. I was a single Mom, we shared a room, and her having her own room wasn't an option. However, the second we moved and she did get her own room, I stopped picking her up when she cried- and quickly she learned to sleep through the night. My sisters three children all slept through the night by 9mths because she used the cry it out method. Is the night time feeding truly necessary, or is there a way to maybe feed her a little more before bed to hold her over (that way it's okay to het her cry a bit, and know it's not b/c she's hung)? I was watching Supernanny the other day, they were having a serious problem with their 15mth old sleeping and the nanny stressed that consistency is key!! You have to do the exact same thing every single night if you want your child to abide by it and also feel safe/secure.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It cut me off, but just wanted to say good luck!!! I know how hard it is not to get sleep and can't imagine doing it while preggers, so I wish you the best. My sisters three kids are each a year apart, which I think promted her to use the cry it out method in order to ensure some sleep- and it worked wonderfully for her.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2010