So speech problems are a sign of what?

If you see a child with speech problems, do you assume something else is wrong? Are speech problems a sign of some bigger problem? I've always thought speech problems are just that, speech problems. If a kid talks and it's hard for strangers to understand, does that mean something else is wrong with him? Does that mean the child is not smart or his parents aren't parenting him well? In a previous question, someone said because of a different parenting style, a kid has speech problems. I take offense to this because my 4 year old is hard to understand by strangers. He has a hard time pronouncing the second letter when a word starts with 2 constants, like the words smell and flag. He also pronounces his v's as b's and uses the word "to" in place of almost every preposition. Instead of saying "wait for me", he'll say "wait to me." My husband and I are working on correcting all of this but until then if you as a stranger talk to him and he uses words that reveal his problems, you won't understand him. Does this mean I'm a bad parent or something else is wrong with my child?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Speech problems are usually an indication of needing speech therapy. It means that the brain just isn't processing things properly. Most public school districts in the US have early intervention for speech. You can request to have him tested and get speech therapy free through your local school district. It has nothing to do with parenting UNLESS you've thought it was cute and encouraged it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Unless there are other issues present as well, speech problems can just be speech problems. It doesn't necessarily mean that there are any other issues. If someone tells you otherwise, just ignore them. Some people just like to see problems everywhere.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My son has a speech problem and I dont consider myself a bad parent. I take him weekly to therapy and am trying to get more therapy through his school. So I feel I better parent getting the help my son needs. He has no other medical problems or developement delays. Just the phonological disorder that causes the speech problem.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 5:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Developmental delays

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• no, My son had a speech problem he could not speak when they tubed his ears when he was three it went away after a year.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• you are not a bad parent, to me it just sounds like he has a little speech problem, it happens to the best of us i had speech thearpy as a child cos i could never say my s's and i couldnt talk properly, so try taking your child to that and see what happens, it does not mean you are a bad parent and i wouldnt think there was anything else wrong with him
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Speech problems are simply a difficulty in forming the right sounds. That means there is absolutely nothing wrong with the child developmentally, usually. Lots of children need help in forming their words. They told my daughter that they would be able to start my granddaughter in speech at the age of three, but not before then. I can tell you for a fact that she talks just like her father and his father do... it's sort of a lazy pronunciation. LOL!   But, it does not mean there is anything "wrong" with the child.  Don't you remember Cindy Brady?  She has speech issues and everyone thought it was soooo cute.  Don't worry about it, just have his speech evaluated.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Well, I don't think so, but I also have children with speech problems. My son got a lot better some where around 4 1/2 to 5 years old (he is 5 now). I was worried because he was learning to read, but I didn't know how to teach him to sound out words with letters he couldn't pronounce. Obviously he's not an idiot if he started learning to read at 4 years old. He had a problem with "fronting" which is making all sounds with the tip of his tongue at the front of his mouth, he also had problems with consonant blends, especially starting with "s". My daughter just turned 3 and she seems to have a lot of the same speech problems. I don't know if she picked it up from him, or on her own.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I had a speech problem as a child and was in speech therapy from the age of 4 to 12. I have/had no other developmental delays and was great in school and every other aspect.

For me I believe the greatness of my delays(which is why I was in speech therapy for so long) were caused because I did not have parents who worked with me from the beginning by correcting and showing me the proper pronunciation.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• IMO delayed speech doesn't point in any one direction. It is an of nothing. My friends son has speech delays. He just has speech delays. He is in Speech therapy and will be released int he next month or so. My other friends son has a speech delay and it was the first redactor to his Autism. Another poster mentioned that getting tubes in her sons ears helped his speech.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2010