How do trundle beds work?

I am going to be switching my almost 2 year into a room with her older sister at the beginning of the year and am kinda concerned about the prospect of bunk beds with her now climbing everything. We have limited space and I was looking into trundle beds, anyone who has one how do they work? How do they keep from sliding under the bed? etc and what are your recommendations? THANKS!

rhonda111787

Asked by rhonda111787 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Shopping

• They are like a huge drawer that a mattress fits into that you pull out to sleep on, and push back in to put away. The ones that I have seen aren't on rails, so they can't push in automatically.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It's just a pull out bed, it slides out from under the bed just like a drawer under there... if that helps. It's on the same type system as a drawer... My brother had one growing up.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• No, I think there is some sort of lock, where it actually slides out and then down a little to prevent that. LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• my boys have one and that's never happend. I don't think it can. Get her the portable rail that are used for toddlers. It does save space
    aitson

Answer by aitson at 12:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• my ex made one for his daughters, it was beautiful and pretty simple. it took him about three weeks. he put the second (underneath) bed on casters and you would just pull it out when you needed it. he made sure there was a little extra space so you could have the bed made up and tuck it in. they are pretty great.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My brother had one, too, when my parents got divorced. It collapsed, and went under his day-bed. There wasn't an issue of it rolling back. The ones that are designed together, I would imagine, are pretty good about not rolling out.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I am more concerned about it rolling back under when shes asleep LOL
    rhonda111787

Comment by rhonda111787 (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I would think the trundle would work okay for when they are younger but as they get older, a trundle is almost like sleeping in the same bed. Would that work for them ?
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 10:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2010