Adoption

Is it just me or does it seem like they have made adoption nearly impossible? Its so damn expensive and there are so many rules and regulations? Many more people who adopt if iwas just a tad easier and little less expensive. Why do we put such a huge price tag on adoption?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Adoption

• Adopt from foster care. There are little to no costs there and those children need loving homes.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• yes I will not lie I was going to give my son up for adoption when I had him long story ...well the agency that I talked to was weird and I felt that as long as the family was stable I was happy with that and the lady was like ohh no pick a family that is loaded blah blah..big turn off I was more worried about him getting love than living in a 500'000 house

Anonymous

• It's about money. Isn't it always? Adoption agencies make hugh profits off healthy white new borns. Sad but true. Part of the problem is there is a deman for them. As if foster care kids arent "good enough". Very very sad. Those children need loving homes & are not expensive to adopt. The arent "in demand' thus its dirt cheap to adopt from foster care. See...supply & demand always increases the value of something.
    Anonymous

• Actually there doesnt need to be "many more people to adopt"..there are waiting lists at agencies for babies. For healthy white infants. Not being racist or anything just truthful. Newborn babies that are adopted from agencies dont just wait around in an orphanage some place for some parents to show up & want them. When you go as a white woman pregnant to an agency you have piles upon piles of "dear birthmom" letters to choose a family for your baby from. Nope. No shortage of PAP's that is for sure.
    Anonymous

• Simple supply and demand. The newborn adoption Industry is big business $$$ and there are loads of couples willing to pay.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Gads, I hate to hear about all the adoptive parents waiting for a perfect healthy white baby. We got a perfect, cleft palate/lip, 5 yr old, Chinese boy. No diapers. First 2 surgeries done. Brilliant little man. Very aware that he is adopted. And happy and well-adjusted. I think with an interracial adoption, it is easier to talk about the adoption. There is no secret-keeping. Just open and honest discussions. And expanding your family history to incorporate an entirely new culture. My family is no longer a German-Dutch family. Now we are German-Dutch-Chinese. I like that. It is so much richer. More traditions. Richer traditions. I really like that. I wouldn't trade this experience for a newborn that looks just like me. "Looks just like me" sounds boring and stale at this point in my life.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 2:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I don't understand why people are waiting so long for a "perfect healthy white baby." The adoption agency we went through has an outstanding reputation to both BParents and AParents and, when we were going through our classes back in August 2005, the longest one of their perspective AParents waited for a "perfect healthy white baby" was 1-1/2 years and that was only because they were extremely picky (wanted particular sex, closed adoption, and had hair color and height requirements of the BParents). We waited four months before we were matched.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• There is a very big price on adopting through an agency, however that is their fees. It pays for overhead, salaries, etc., etc., etc. and still allows them to make a profit. There are a lot of people involved in the adoption of a child from beginning to end and they have to be paid. The agency we went through used their profit to advocate foster care adoptions. Not all agencies are the money-grubbing baby-buyers that they are portrayed as by many people here.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The government gives a tax credit for the year of finalization. The federal government gave a little over $10.5K and the state of Ohio gave $500...both for the year of 2006...don't know what it is now. Home equity loans can be given for adoption expenses. One of our credit cards offered us a 0% interest for 2 years to get us to put the adoption fees on that card. There are also grants and fundraisers you can do to take some of the edge off. No, it's definitely not impossible. You may have to get a little creative though.
    AllAboutKeeley

• The rules and regulations are because they want to make sure you are physically, emotionally, mentally, and financially able to care for the child that you wanting to bring into your home. They also want to make sure you have a good support system and you aren't some horrible child molester. If you are good and honest people, it's not difficult at all to get through the Homestudy.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2008