why is it so hard to join a local mom group?

Its like filing your taxes. Questions they have no bussiness asking just to be approved. Feels like a sorrority. hmmm is this mom good enough to join our group? I just want to make friends

shrowdedstar

Asked by shrowdedstar at 1:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• I know exactly how you feel. I joined a local mom group after I had my first DD. I had to answer so many question, most of which I refused to answer because it was honestly NONE of there business. Why do they need to know where my dh works & what his position is? What does that have to do with being a sahm with kids and wanting to do some playdates at the park? Then asking what my job was before being a sahm & my position with the company. Seriously?? I could keep going on. Then when you do join they are a bunch of clique women who just put you down if you don't raise kids exactly the way they do. Well, thats been my experience anyway, I have no interest anymore in local mom groups.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It is so ridiculous. Thank you for sharing. I gues you can take the girls out of high school but cant take high school out of hte girls. haha
    shrowdedstar

Comment by shrowdedstar (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• You have to find a local mom group that is right for you. Everyone has different interests and different ideals on how to raise their children. It's much easier to get with a group that has somewhat similar interests and ideals. An example is routinely going to a play date where your child is picking up bad habits from another child and you don't really have much in common with the mom. Then it's really not fun or helpful for anyone. There has to be some common base between the women or it will never work. I agree Jessica the moms should never have asked you such personal questions. The only thing is we are an internet based social site so some questions are needed to protect the members of the group and their children. Don't wanna invite men pretending to be moms or any other crazy people.
    Kittlesdesigns

Answer by Kittlesdesigns at 2:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• " Everyone has different interests and different ideals on how to raise their children. It's much easier to get with a group that has somewhat similar interests and ideals. An example is routinely going to a play date where your child is picking up bad habits from another child and you don't really have much in common with the mom"
    How am I supposed to get to that point when the moms already are so guarded they dont even seem to want new members.
    shrowdedstar

Comment by shrowdedstar (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Totally agree...I to am just trying to make some mommy friends who understand what I go threw....
    firechickk

Answer by firechickk at 3:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Which is what most women want to do, its sad when there are crazy women out there making fake profiles. Which to me is more high school. Sad really, that's why it's hard. Especially if that group has had problems with other people. Ex-wife stalking, crazy old friends who have kids but most of the time are drug addicts/drunks, everyone wants it groups to be safe for them too.
    gem23

Answer by gem23 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I was actually thrown out of the local mother's group because I'm an atheist.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:09 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Gem that is highschool. fake profiles and crazy people but what about us moms trying just to meet new friends? You asked your questions, I answered and still have not been approved or denied. That to me is confusing.
    shrowdedstar

Comment by shrowdedstar (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2010