Christmas tree question... Designer tree or a mix and match tree?

Do you decorate your tree with ornaments that have meaning or the more classic balls and garlands?

Do you have a tree that a professional decorator would be proud of, or more of a tree that only a mother could find pride in... meaning a mix of odd decorations that have meaning, but do not match?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 1:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Holidays

• mother: lol.....nothing matches, have an ornament of pregnant bear from when I was pregnant 20 years ago. DS born 12/22: a friend brought a small tree to the hospital with ornaments for him...have all those...the ones he made in elementary school, ones we were given....nothing matches and I'm VERY proud of it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• This year my tree is decorated with multi-colored mini lights, multi-colored glass balls, glittery white snowflakes, gold and silver garland, and candy canes. I like my tree to match to a certain extent, but I love it to be colorful. I don't own any personal ornaments that hold any meaning.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Mines a mix and match. We have all different kinds of things on our treee
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Not designer by any means! Precious ornaments though. Still have ornaments that my sons made in grammer school and they are in their 30's now. Love it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have regular balls, our first ornament as a married couple, my sons 1st home made ornament, ornaments I got from Germany and Italy, and candy canes. The nice ornaments from germany and italy are up HIGH away from little fingers or kitty claws
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• We have a "family" tree. It's got ornaments from my life, all the way up from childhood, including stuff I made in kindergarten. It's got all the stuff my husband and bought together before we had kids, and all the stuff our kids have made. All the really ugly ornaments get hung towards the back.
    Funny thing--growing up, we always had that type of tree. When all of us kids were almost grown, my mother gave us all our ornaments and got herself what I call a "Macy's tree", lol. It hurt me, it really did. I couldn't understand why she'd want to give up all that meaningful stuff and put up a tree with coordinating ornaments that meant nothing. I still don't know if I understand, but maybe I'll feel differently when I'm 50.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Every year we buy a new ornament for each of the girls, they get to pick it out. We put all of these on the tree along with a sampling of ornaments I had when I was a kid that my mom gave me.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Family tree. Things don't match but it looks beautiful to us! I love taking out the ornaments every year - there are so many wonderful memories associated with each one.

My son gets a new ornament every year also, and when he's on his own he'll get them for his tree!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It's an amalgamation of stuff. Some family heirlooms, some stuff we bought for the kids over the years, etc.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 7:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Ours is all wizard of oz ornaments w/ red balls and different colored lights.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 7:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2010