What do you do with your child(ren's) artwork?

After my son creates a masterpeice it goes on the fridge, but when its time to take it down for new "artwork" I never know what to do with it. I hate to throw his pictures away, but if I keep them all I will have boxes and boxes of scribbles. What do you do? Do you toss them all? Keep a few of the good ones?

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 1:31 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• my DD is an "artist" and draws lots of pics every single day. I cannot keep them all. BUT, this is what we do. She is 9 now & it's a bit easier. We have a box she puts all her finished drawings in & when it gets full, we go throught them together & decide which ones we want to keep and which ones we want to throw away. The ones we keep, i put in a large box that we keep in her closet. Lots of times, she'll decide to give away her pictures to family & friends as a gift because she already realizes that we have TONS of drawings & artwork already. She knows that they make great gifts. The BEST ones we put in a frame & hang on the wall.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I keep them all, in a folder for the school year. Then, at the end of the school year, we select a few to keep (and make sure to put the date on the back) and the rest all get tossed.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 1:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Oh, okay... this is what I did: I bought each of the kids a big plastic bin and all their papers and artwork went into that bin. When they left the house, the bin was theirs to take and keep. It also had their baby book and all their other information in it, such as pictures!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have started taking a picture of my kids artwork the day they make it. THat way I have the date and the artwork with all my other photos. (I'm terrible about saving stuff, so this works well for me!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I also have taken photo's of her best artwork to keep in an online album.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Wish I had gotten a big plastic bin and saved some of it. Would love to look at it now.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I don't keep all of my son's artwork(he's 3 and loves to draw). He even choses to through some away lol. But we do painting every once in a while, and I buy canvas's on sale and he has one hanging in his room. I tried to get him to do some handprints and such but he doesn't like the paint on his hands, to messy. lol

I think I'm going to the a bin as well, which is what my mom did for me and my siblings.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I throw out most of it, and keep the occasional one that I like a lot.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have two boxes full of all my son's work...he's 25 now and I still have everything he made and even have his report cards.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 10:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2010