Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 year old who I think has ADD

Where do I take my son to get him tested? The pediatrician? My doctor said for myself to be tested (yep, I think I have it too) that I had to go to a psychiatrist.

Answer Question

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 35 (73,191 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I would recommend that you go to a developmental psychologist or a developmental psychiatrist.

    Answer by layh41407 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • I haven't been through it myself but I believe the place to get the ball rolling is at the pediatrician. I think they have you as well as their teacher answer some questions.

    Answer by Jessica157 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Usually the school can have kids evaluated.

    Answer by KTMOM at 3:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Has the Dr recommended you anywhere?

    Answer by sstepph at 7:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Do NOT have the school do it, actually some schools won't. I had my son tested at his pediatrician. It helps that his pedi specializes in kids with ADD/ADHD. I was tested at a counselors office. Start with the doctor and go from there.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • You have to have him evaluated by his pediatrician. The doc will give you a survey to complete, as well as the teacher. The school CANNOT diagnose this.

    Answer by Pnukey at 10:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • the pediatrician

    Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

  • talk to your ped...

    Answer by asil at 6:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.