how to help my five month old dev a sleep cycle

how to help 5 month old dev sleep cycle

naira768

Asked by naira768 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't. Well, . . . not really!! The best you can do is establish a bedtime routine. Putting on pajamas, turn down the lights, nurse/bottle, rock, brush teeth, etc. Put him down at the same time every night. He most likely won't sleep through the night consistently for another year. But this will at least get you started!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Yes, it helps to develop a consistent sleep time routine. We always found it worked best for us to get into a routine that was always the same when we saw the baby getting tired. Diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My 5 month old has set naptimes/bedtime. We pretty much did it since birth, but it's so nice that now I know when to schedule my other appointments, errands, etc. and not have her cranky from lack of sleep or have to wake her up to be somewhere. Watch her for the next few days and notice when she naturally gets tired, that should give you a good idea of time(s) for naps. My 5 month old wakes at 7, naps from 9 until 11, takes an afternoon nap from 1:15-4, then sometimes a short little 30-45 minute nap around 5:30, bedtime is 8.

Answer by missanc at 9:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• He already HAS a sleep cycle... although it may not be one you like and it may not be regular yet. That's normal.

Develop a routine. When he wakes at night, keep things brisk and business like. He'll settle into a more regular sleeping pattern when HE is ready. This is developmental and you cannot rush it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2010