My daughter is 4 months and has been tugging at her left ear... could this be the start of teething. She goes to the Dr Monday for her two week check up should I just wait to have her seen then or call today?

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd call the dr. Usually if they are tugging at their ear it's an ear infection.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Sounds like the start of an ear infection. 95% of all ear infections will clear up on there own, without antibiotics.
    Anonymous

• ehhh she may have a ear infection but thats usually noticed becuz baby may run a fever and be cranky. however at 4months old she may have just discovered she has something on the side of her head. if shes not running a fever and doesnt seem to be bothered you can wait till monday to see your doctor.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• You can wait until monday for an earinfection but no longer, than that.
    Anonymous

• It could very well be teething. My son always tugs at his ear when his teeth are hurting him, and he's never had an ear infection. I'd just keep an eye on it until her check-up, and if she develops any other symptoms of an ear infection before then give your doctor a call.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My son pulls on his ears a lot, he is teething but that's not the reason. His hair is so long above his ears that it tickles him lol. Check her gums and see if she has an white spots in the front or if her gums are hard. Those could be signs of teething too. I know teeth can come in in any order but my sons front teeth came in first. Is she biting on everything? It could be teething but if you think it's something else or it's bothering her a lot just call her doctor, that's what they're there for.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 1:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• No don't wait...call your Dr. right away!! An ear infection is nothing to mess with.If their is an infection you can't make a baby wait 3 day's to see a Dr.!!!!
    Anonymous

• Sometimes babies just pull at their ear but it's there to be pulled on. We went(and are going through) the same thing. Other symptoms to look for include crying in the middle of the night(the pain gets worse after laying down awhile), general fuzziness and distress, not wanting to suck, or fevers. Use your mom-instinct. If your LO is really not acting like usual you might go in for a check up just to see. but since antibiotics are not to be used lightly I waited until i was positive she had a problem. My dd also started bobbling her head around a lot when she had an infection.
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 1:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• And of course the person giving the advice of "95% of all ear infections clear up on their own without antibiotics," is posting anonymous with no credible sources...She can possibly wait until Monday. Just keep an eye on her. My son had to have tubes put in his ears eventually but when he did have ear infections, he never had the fever part of it. He would just be extra fussier than usual and pull on his ears.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• It could be teething or an ear infection. And it is true that most ear infections clear up on their own. I'm not saying that you should let it. just confirming the previous post.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2008