Not cashing...

Theoretically - if your landlord/lady did not cash your rent check for almost 3 months, how would you deal with this, and how would this make you feel? Do you think that this is inconsiderate?

My mom and step-dad rent a house to us, and I paid rent for October, and my mom STILL has not cashed that check! She does not see how it is inconsiderate, or why it matters how long she has the check for before cashing it. I am going to be giving her CASH from now on, and I will be getting a receipt from her. I told her that landlords DO NOT do that, and that it is just rude. And I wrong in thinking this?

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 1:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• Why can't she just take it to the bank. I would ask her to give it back and give her cash. Then you can just void it out. I know people who do that. Sometimes they use a special bank for certain money and they only get there every so often. It doesn't make it less annoying. I don't like carrying outstanding checks more than one statement. It drives me nuts.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 2:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It would really annoy me if my landlord did that. Once i write the check, i want it taken from my account. I don't like seeing my account with a bunch of money in it that isn't really mine. It is inconsiderate.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I don't understand what the big deal is. Once you've written the check, you just no longer have that money to spend. If you're keeping up your check register like you should, then you've already deducted that amount and whether she holds it 3 days or 3 months really isn't any of your business. If you decide to pay in cash, please PLEASE be sure that you get a receipt, signed and dated by your landlord, with a note on it that says what month you're paying for.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2010