Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will I qualify for assistance (MA)?

Right now I work full time making about 2600 before taxes and just 1600 after taxes!!a month. I'm barely getting by and its just me and my daughter. My rent is high and the rest is usually spent on her school and groceries. I barely have leftover for leisure for my daughter and myself. I do not qualify for food stamps or wic or anything. They take your gross income before any expenses and that doesn't make sense. My take home pay is 1600 rent is 1000 utlitlies 200 food 400 and her school. Sometimes I have to alternate what I'm going to pay.

Baby #2 is on the way and I did preliminary application and it said I would then qualify for food, wic and cash help for utlilties. I'm just wondering if you can actually get assistance if you are working. I really need the help and DH has been disabled and out of work due to an accident and barely has any income. What am I to do?? Baby is due in may!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

Answers (3)
  • You need to go down to the office and try to apply and ask them questions. There is no way any of us can tell you this answer. Plenty of working mommies have assistance.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • We are to the point where Its just me and her. He basically decided he wants out so I am not including him in the equation. His money that he does get is not towards the household. SO everything is just me and her.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • If you're supporting him and he's in the house he counts. The fact that he is disabled would also likely be of help to you. If need be try and put in where and how you support him and that his income isn't helping you.
    Wic, at least in Utah, considers your unborn a part of your family so count in the amount of allowable income. Foodstams, agian at least where I am, don't count the baby on the way until it is actually born and in the house. BUT I do think they take into account that pregnancy changes your food needs too. I think they're supposed to take into account to some degree your housing and utilitiy needs but I don't know for sure.
    Ours you can apply onlinle and it has an option to online chat a worker, whichi is by far easier than calling. But if you do, go in adn don't waste your cell phone time. Use their phone. Heck if you have to use their net!
    I belive there is also an appeal process for a hearing. You can try that

    Answer by JadeRDragosani at 5:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.