Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Will I qualify for assistance (MA)?

Right now I work full time making about 2600 before taxes and just 1600 after taxes!!a month. I'm barely getting by and its just me and my daughter. My rent is high and the rest is usually spent on her school and groceries. I barely have leftover for leisure for my daughter and myself. I do not qualify for food stamps or wic or anything. They take your gross income before any expenses and that doesn't make sense. My take home pay is 1600 rent is 1000 utlitlies 200 food 400 and her school. Sometimes I have to alternate what I'm going to pay.

Baby #2 is on the way and I did preliminary application and it said I would then qualify for food, wic and cash help for utlilties. I'm just wondering if you can actually get assistance if you are working. I really need the help and DH has been disabled and out of work due to an accident and barely has any income. What am I to do?? Baby is due in may!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • I don't know if you will qualify for assistance or not but have you thought amount moving to a cheaper place?

    Are you wanting assistance so you will have more "leisure money" or so you can eat? Food stamps are for people who would starve otherwise...they are not to make your life more comfortable.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • I barely make enough for necessities and was just saying with my income I have now. People would think it is doable, but I was just saying that I have no leisure... I guess I shouldnt have used that as an example.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • have your DH apply for disability.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 2:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • It sounds like they already told you that you'll qualify and yes you can get assistance even if you're working.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Well, I know in Missouri, they would tell you none of that is a good enough reason to quit and get welfare. You have to be in search of a job and you cannot quit one. Wow.. I would think that a job is better than nothing any day. Please don't tell me you want to quit and go on welfare. Please double check to see what kind of assistance you can get without leaving your job.

    Answer by m-avi at 5:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • I am talking about additional assistance whilw I work. I would never leave my job and all moy job benefits for welfare!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Go to your local office and talk to them. If you are pregnant, you can quality for WIC, probably food stamps, utility assistance and maybe even medical assistance. Utility assistance is very tough right now because the programs are so maxed out. Just ask them to put your name on the list and find out how long it will be until you are able to qualify. WIC will help you out a lot. Good luck mom. Good going with your job and sticking it out!!!

    Answer by m-avi at 11:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • Why would you get pregnant, knowing how much you struggle?

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • Im from might just make it under the guidelines..make sure you find out about extra exemptions that you can claim if your husband is deemed disabled by a doctor. You and the kids should be getting masshealth, and Wic already I think. Good luck

    Answer by judith106 at 6:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

  • Yes, some assistance is available for people who work. You won't know until you apply, though.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.