i guess it will be a surprise...

My fiance and I were really eager to find out the sex of our baby, but once again, the baby was uncooperative. We will not know until the baby gets here.

I need some help with the shower though. Its in 3 weeks, but my registry is not finished. I really don't want to have everything in green and yellow. And what about all the prep and the baby's first outfit to wear home from the hospital?
I'm at a total loss right now, and really need help from the experienced.

kristen.ream

Asked by kristen.ream at 1:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well i didnt have that problem. My advice is to just ask for simple things such as sleepers and onsies or maybe just gift cards so that once baby is here you can by the right color for baby most people understand that. As for babies first outfit home i suggest buying one for a boy you really like and one for a girl you really like. keep the reciept and return the one you dont need.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• It was a surpise to us too for the same reason. We have a baby shower with a Pooh theme, same with crib sheets and blankets. If you don't like pooh, pick another theme: puppies, bears, dragonflies, frogs, etc are all nice kid themes and can have a variety of colors. Multi colors are also acceptable. A blanket with blue, pink, white, and yellow, still looks nice for either gender. Girls still look pretty in blue, and if it's a girl just put some pink accents to go with it. or choose neutral. my dd has the CUTEST brown overalls that go with everything. I also love her yellow jacket. I don't like color coding pink and blue anyway so i actually like having a mix of colors.
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 1:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I like the idea of gift cards for the shower, too, or even cash to help out, ya know? As for what to bring the little one home in, get some neutral colored gowns. Their like sleepers, but open on the bottom and no seperate leg holes. Until the umbilical stump falls off, it can much more comfortable for baby, and very convenient during diaper changes. Good luck!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I am having an early baby shower that was planned before we knew the sex (we know now). I didn't register for a lot of clothes because people will get you those no matter what. The clothes I did register for are green, yellow, white, blue, and brown. I've found that a lot of boy clothing is unisex-- girls can def. get away with wearing blue, but I'm not sure how many are actually comfortable putting a baby boy in pink. Now that I know I'm having a girl, i still try to stick with pretty gender-neutral clothing because I'm already sick of looking at pink! I actually thought having a gender-neutral shower was better because more people will get you stuff you need rather than tons of clothes your baby will probably never wear.
    Anonymous

• We knew we didn't want to know the sex or our baby until it arrived. We bought lots of cute unisex clothes in many colors...red, blue, green, yellow, etc. Many of the clothes were sold in the boys' section, but were fine for girls, too. We brought a unisex outfit to the hospital for the coming-home outfit. We ended up having a girl. We didn't have a baby shower (I hate them), but we got lots of baby gifts before the baby arrived, and they were all unisex. Even if we knew what we were having, we would have gone gender neutral. Kids get gender stereotypes pushed on them soon enough...I couldn't care less if my daughter wears a onesie with a firetruck on it or a blue shirt with a football on it. I love football, anyway! :) After the baby comes, you'll probably get more gifts, and they'll be gender-specific. My daughter has lots of girlie clothes because of this, so it's nothing to worry about. :) Congrats!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 3:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I didn't find out with my last pregnancy and won't find out with this one, either. The easiest way to go about it: First, clothing... get an outfit for each, that was really fun taking both to the hospital. The one that was not used is now in his memory book so i can tell him a story. Buy a few pieces that are unisex... (they are not always green and yellow...) and buy some for a boy and a girl just for the first 2 weeks, (invest most in sleepers and jumpers, so they will be useful and not be gender specific all the time. that way you aren't wasting a bunch of money on the wrong clothes; shopping is just as much fun after as it is before!!!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 4:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Secondly, if you do not want people purchasing those colors, then ask for gift cards, people are usually okay with doing that as it makes it easier on them, and helpful to you. I personally dislike the baby colors as well, so I went with bold colors for my son, not knowing what he was; and it worked for either sex... you'll be fine, and congrats :)

leoangel

• If there's a technical school near you with an ultrasound program they may be willing to let you be a "test subject" so that you can try again to see what you're having before the shower...
    Dara.M

Answer by Dara.M at 5:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• bring on the gift cards, diapers, and wipes!!!
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 3:12 AM on Nov. 8, 2008