Those who have an iPad, what the heck are they for???

We have PC, laptop, Blackberrys, Nook, Xbox's, PS3, Wii, PS2, DS's, etc. Now my husband wants an iPad. What exactly is the point of this expensive device that I see no need for?
Those who have one, what do you do with it??

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 2:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Technology

• Honestly...I think it's more about status then anything else. People want one just so they can say they have one...a show off toy. That's my .02!
    Anonymous

• I'm getting one so I don't have to haul my computer around everywhere for work. For me, I feel more comfortable hauling around something that's $500, rather than my Macbook that's worth 3 times that amount.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• BUMP I've always wondered this myself. I was told its just a large iphone but you cant make calls on it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• lol great question I to have asked myself that same question
    firechickk

Answer by firechickk at 2:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• DH "HAD" to have one. He finally got rid of it once the novelty wore off because, of course, he has a MacBook Pro and an iPhone, and didn't have much need for it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Its nothing but a large ipod..
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• They are ridiculous & a waste of money. Anon is spot on, it's about status & "what is cool" to have. I know someone who has it & they say it's even a pain in the ass to hold up & play with. You have to hold it with one hand, or lay it down flat on your lap. Why not just use a friggen laptop?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• If you have all that stuff there's nothing an ipad can do that they don't, and it's a waste.

My daughter has one and uses it for everything, but she doesn't have a computer or smartphone. Her cover also has a built in stand so she doesn't have the issue with holding it.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 2:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• You can download books to read off of them. Many textbook companies are going to e-books. Half the price of "paper books." You can also type word documents on it, listen to music, take pictures, chat with people, etc. I love mine!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2010