Is there a book, movie, or TV show that you avoided, finally tried,& realized it was awesome?

I'm a huge Stephen King fan but for some reason avoided certain titles because I thought I wouldn't like them. A couple of examples are Dolores Claiborne and Hearts in Atlantis. I finally read them and loved them.

Another example is the series Dexter. When it first came out I accused my husband of watching soft core porn because of the graphic nature of some of the scenes. I picked up the book of the series and fell in love and have been a faithful Dexter fan ever since.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 2:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Entertainment

• Oh my goodness, OP--Hearts in Atlantis and Dolores Claiborne are 2 of my favorite King books. When I read only the title line of your question, the very first thing that popped into my mind was also Stephen King, but it was in relation to "The Dark Tower" series. I avoided it for a long time because I honestly didn't think I would get into it, with it being blended genres with fantasy, sci-fi, adventure, etc. I just finished the last book in the series a couple of weeks ago and I LOVED these books. Loved them, loved them, loved them.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Hate to admit it but I'm a fan of Glee! Didn't think it looked like something that I would like, but have to say it's pretty good!
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I read the Dolores Claiborn a long time ago.. it was really awesome!!

I tried avoiding the Twilight series for a while lol.. I haven't read the books but I watched Twilight and I went and bought New Moon to watch is lol. I wanna see the new one.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Spongebob. Hated it at first until i watched one episode & laughed my butt off. The new ones suck though, the first 2 seasons are the best. The show is not the same as it was 7 years ago. Spongebob has a new voice & seems a bit more stupid then he used to. And, they lost certain writers & the show was never the same since. It lost it's flare.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I started reading the book eat, pray, love 3 times before I decided that I was just going to muddle through and finish it and I loved it! The movie was not as good as the book though
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Oh, oh, another thing I just thought of is the television show "Medium". I was never interested in it, then one day when nothing else was on, I caught a re-run of an episode from a past season and was very intrigued. I started watching all the reruns, then got into the new season when it picked back up and have been watching it ever since. It's one of my very favorite shows.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• The TV show "The Office". It always looked boring to me. Then my friend brought over the first three seasons. And after the first episode I was absolutely addicted to it.
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Those "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" books by Stieg Larrsosn( excuse the misspellings) I wasn't so sure what all the hype was about. But i read one and was hooked. I have read all the books and seen all the movies.
    EttaMay

Answer by EttaMay at 3:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Avatar: The Last Air Bender ... flipped passed it a few times and finally stopped one day. Now I have seen every episode at least 10x each. Momo is the BOMB!! Sokka is hilarious!! I love it and want it on DVD and want to see the live action, although I have been warned to consider it a different story than the cartoon. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Movie: Slumdog Millionaire

And I LOVE Dexter!! Season finale tonight!!
    isabellem

Answer by isabellem at 8:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010