how much do you bleed when you miscarry?

When you miscarry, how much do you bleed? Is it all at once or like a heavy period? How many days do you bleed?

Karkie22

Asked by Karkie22 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It really depends on the circumstances- how far along you are, how your body goes through the process, etc. I had a m/c at 11 weeks but the baby had stopped developing several weeks before... I had dark brown, sludgy bleeding for about a week... then it picked up to a heavy period level of bleeding with lots of clots, then after a few days of this I had really severe cramping when I passed the actual pregnancy tissue, and then I had a day of very, very heavy bright red bleeding and then it tapered to several days of red/pink spotting. All in all I bled for about two weeks. I had to have my blood drawn every couple of days to make sure that my hcg levels dropped back down to zero... the didn't hit zero for about a month but because I did get to 11 weeks my hcg levels had a lot further to go than many people who had earlier m/cs. ((HUGS))- I'm sorry you are going through this. I know how hard it is.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• up to a week...and it should be heavier than a period but thick as well...darker in color. if you experience bright red flow of blood for more than a few days you may have a hemorrhage and should be checked again by the dr. the dr should be checking your hcg levels every few days until it reaches zero. to make sure everything has come out. the last miss i had i never reached zero and after over a month of bleeding off and on and a lot of pain i had to have a D&C. im sorry for your loss and i hope it all turns out for the best.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 2:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It depends on how far along you are. I had a miscarriage about 5 1/2 weeks, and it was like a heavy, chunky period that lasted several days.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I go tomorrow to my OB to check my HCG levels. Right now I'm just waiting. My cervix is still closed, they did see the pregnancy was in my uterus and they saw the yolk sack. I'm just waiting for tomorrow to check my levels. No pain though.
    Thank you.
    Karkie22

Comment by Karkie22 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I'm 7 weeks today
    Karkie22

Comment by Karkie22 (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Im praying for you!!Have you had intercourse within the past 48 hrs?
    amberfm

Answer by amberfm at 7:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Nope, no sex!
    Karkie22

Comment by Karkie22 (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I wish you the best of luck with this, it's hard. I had two miscarriages very close together where I was about 5 weeks pregnant. The first one was just bleeding for a few days no problems other than some mild depression for loosing a baby. The second on the other hand was just the bleeding and pain that could not be believed. At one point I was in the ER so they could give me some morphine to make it better becuase I was taking a Loratab at the 6 hour intervals and 800mg of ibprofin every four and it wasn't touching the pain I was feeling. I spent a week in my bed mostly curled in a ball trying not to move (one of the only times I was greatful that my daughter wasn't living with me). I was told that just as every pregnancy is different, so is every miscarriage. With me they only did an HCG check twice, the first was a base the second to confirm the drop (but I'm in a college town in Utah so...)
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 5:44 AM on Dec. 13, 2010