what do you wish someone would have told you

what is something you didnt know about breastfeeding that you wish someone would have told you??

Mommy2B04

Asked by Mommy2B04 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• That babies are gross and messy when feeding(I had to have a towel between us or we'd both be soaked 100% by the time she was done.) and that forumla has come a LONG way and babies can do very well on it too. Breast feeding is NOT the only good way.
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 1:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• That its not always easy. It can be hard to get it right -- and that's nothing the Mom should take personally. (Hormones are coursing, latching problems can really be depressing) It can take days, weeks, etc to get comfy with and that is normal.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• That what seemed the most natural of ways to feed a baby would take so much guidance and effort on both the lactation specialist and my part. We didn't succeed, by the way, and I'm stuck pumping for him.
    adismum

Answer by adismum at 1:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• :) that this seemingly 'natural' thing can be difficult and hard work. That it's one of the most amazing experiences you will ever share with another human being. That it's ok to supplement or fully feed your baby with formula if breast feeding just doesn't work for the both of you. That there are way too many people out there who are nosey and will try to tell you what is best for you when only YOU can really know. :)
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 1:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• That when they tell you to bf every 2-3 hours, it's not for the baby, it's to get your milk up and going. And that babies will eat whenever they're hungry even if it's been 45 min. That would've saved us a ton of frustration trying to figure out why he was crying....lol
    LuvMybebe

Answer by LuvMybebe at 2:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I wish someone had told me about the gushing LOL I'd be nursing my son and he'd choke cuz it came out so fast, so he'd back up and get squirted all over his face. Watch out for that when you start having sex again after birth, too. It was my first baby, so my advice there is to keep your bra on with nursing pads or your guy will get a *white* shower, lol
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I wish someone would have told me that breastfeeding doesn't come naturaly to everyone and beacause breastfeeding didn't work out for me, I'm not a complete failure as a mom.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• That your letdown sprays!! omg nooooooo! And then if your baby is learning and they start choking because there is too much milk so you've got a choking baby and your boob is spraying everywhere and you're like WTF do I do LOL!!!!!!!!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Oh and that it would take a month for it to stop hurting, and after that your nipples are so tough you won't really be able to feel anything with them. Yay!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2008