what do you think about pacifiers?

my baby is 2mths old and i give him a pacifier though am tryin to wean off of it (i dont want him to have any problems once he is older). and my mom says that pacifiers are bad though i was told they arent bad unless you use them ALL the time which i try not to.

sprtchic13

Asked by sprtchic13 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that they are a great alternative to thumb sucking (my daughter does not suck her thumb, I would not let her) And as long as you don't have one of those 4 year old's walking around with a pacifier in their mouth then you will be fine.

My thought is I will ween her at the same time as weening from the bottle. Both are equally bad for teeth, the pacifier more so if, like you said, you use it ALL the time.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Saved my sanity. We used one as often as my son wanted it for the first 6 months. Then we switched to only letting him use it in his crib. It was no problem to make the switch. As long as he doesn't see them lying around, he doesn't fuss over it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think they're okay providing you wean them off them slowly, since my daughter would have screamed us silly without hers! But I slowly weaned her off them, and now she only has one when she's sleeping, and it's seemed to work pretty well.
    peytonrye

Answer by peytonrye at 1:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think they are awesome and for a baby that young I wouldn't worry. Studies show that letting babies sleep with pacifiers greatly reduces the risk of SIDS. I wouldn't worry too much about at all. What me and my husband are thinking about doing is that when our son isn't on the bottle anymore to ween him off the pacifier,because he shouldn't have that "suck to soothe" instinct anymore.
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 1:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I did not have a pacifier as a child and never sucked my thumb. my hsuband DID have pacifiers and also didn't suck his thumb. So that part is BS. I think once they are old enough to use teeth they should have an orthodontic style so they don't mess up their teeth but I didn't update my dd's until she was 6 months old. That said, i actually don't like them. If you use them you're chained to them. baby gets upset when they aren't around so if you lose one you're up a creek. I only use them when she's going to be sleeping or is not feeling well. I don't know when I will wean mine(she's 7 months now).
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 1:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think they are wonderful though my daughter wouldn't take one.
    As luvsgriffin points out, they are starting to suggest babies under 6 months use one to reduce the risk of SIDS even more.
    Unlike a thumb, you can take it away from your child when she's older. Kind of hard to remove those thumbs when you want to stop them from thumb sucking.

Just lose them sometime before a year. After that, it's much harder and toddlers look so bad walking around with a binky hanging out of their mouths.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I dont think there is anything wrong with them so long as you ween them off it by a year old just like you would with a bottle. Babys have the urge to suck its part of there growing. I wouldnt worry about it most babies will give them up on there own befor a year.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• pacifiers are good. my children were both on them and then taken off them on there 1st birthday they did just fine with it. but some children dont wean as easy. i watched the nanny show and she asked the little girl to give the paci to her mommie so that mommy could give it to another "baby" ;and that she was a big girl now, and big girls dont need pacifiers..
    jseibert

Answer by jseibert at 1:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I don't think they are bad as long as the child isn't dependent on it.
    Anonymous

• We'll always have to break our kids of bad habits, so I wouldn't worry about preventing this one for such a youngster.

LOL, funny pacifier story: when it came time for my niece to give up the pacifier, my sister had a hard time. Luckily, one day they were sitting on a dock, looking into the water. My niece saw something that excited her and opened her mouth, dropping her pacifier into the water. My sister told her that it went to live with Nemo, and that was the end of Meg's noonie days!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2008