Any tried and true vegetarian Christmas dinner recipes?

My mom & FIL are both veggies. Last year I had to hunt down a Tofurkey but I'd rather do something else for them this year.

Any great main dish recipes? We are doing turkey & ham for us but need something nice for them.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 3:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Look up a book called the Passionate Vegetarian at your library. She is a bit off the wall, but has some great recipes,.

DH made a veggie pot roast last year for Thanksgiving and our non-veggie guests liked it too. (No meat at all in the house.) I don't know where the recipe was from or where the page went. I would google vegetarian roast and see what you get.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My family often makes a brazilian dish called empadao. It is like a meat pie, but instead of meat, we put a mixture of veggies (carrots, potatoes, peas) and mock meat. You can try morningstar veggie crumbles or quorn chikin tenders (a sort of fake chicken) We make a sauce for the mixture with tomato paste, water, onions, garlic, and green olives.
    The crust is very similar to a pot-pie crust. You make it with flour, butter or margarine, and salt. You cut the butter (about 2 sticks) down into small pieces and keep cutting it together with flour (4-6 cups) until you have a flaky, crumbly mixture. This needs to fill a large, mixing bowl. When done, you should be able to squeeze the mixture into a dough that you can flatten out into a rectangular baking pan. You cover the pan, bottom and sides, pour in the meat/veggie mixture, then cover the top with the dough crumbs. You bake it about 350 for 20-25 minutes.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 3:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Veganomicon has great soup recipes.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• We always have Italian dishes for Christmas so my first thought was vegetable lasagna.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• No never had one
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2010