What do you think of the new plan to allow teens to graduate after 10th grade?

Here's a link to more information:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20081107/us_time/shouldkidsbeabletograduateafter10thgrade

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 1:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• In England they graduate after 10th grade, don't they? They can choose to go to a higher-level school for two extra years, that would count as 11th and 12th grade here.

In my boyfriend's home country (Costa Rica), there's no 12th grade. They graduate after 11th. But their classes are MUCH harder and much more accelerated than they are here.

I say hey...whatever works.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Hey if they can handle it, go for it! That's great. I know some kids that graduated early because they worked their tales off and took extra classes so they could graduate early. I have no problem with it.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Minors can not sign contracts so how will these 16 yrs olds get student loans or secure housing for college? It's a bad idea.
    KC33

Answer by KC33 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I think it is a terrific idea! KC, teens will be able to find housing and secure loans the same way they do now, that wont change. Moms and Dads will cosign. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• if they qualify, then why not.
    there's no point in keeping them in high school when they are clearly prepared to enter college instead.

this might be the first time this is being done on a mass scale but plenty of intellectually advanced teens graduate from high school early.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• *sigh* this question was just asked...why do people insist on duplicating questions?

Anyways, here was my response to the last one:

The way my mom described the school system in Germany was that they went to 9th grade, then they either did an apprenticeship, or made the decision to continue on with school (10th-12th was like Junior College is for us)

I am not sure if that's how it still is though...that was, like...30 years ago, lol.

I really have no problem with it. Better for them to be considered a graduate than a drop out.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• But SusieD are assuming that all children have parents who feel obligated to cosign college loans? Also think about how graduating 16 yr olds will affect sports schalorships.
    KC33

Answer by KC33 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• They have an accelerated program at the high school here, have had it for something like 20 years and it works great. If the student can do it, more power to them.
    Anonymous

• And how many really qualify for sports scholarships?? Most of the children I know are in college by 16 anyway. (I homeschool and most of us have kids in college by sixteen.) I think it forces kids to endure a false reality. High school is not like real life. Let the kids get on with life and not hold them back!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Also, if they don't have parents who will cosign, they can apply for emancipated minor status. It would allow them to take charge of thier own financial life. If they are not mature enough to do that then they probably shouldn't be out in the real world anyway.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008