Who is to blame for education problems?

Thought this article was interesting and was curious as to other's reactions.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=131988387

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh I agree. I taught, and let me tell you the LACK of parental involvement I saw with some of my students saddened me a great deal. Some parents don't get how vital they are to their child's education. Do they get all the blame- NO. There are bad teachers too, but there is also bad administration. Many don't get that in many districts teachers are forced to teach a STRICT curriculum set by admins, with little flexibility. I am forced to give assessments I DISAGREE with due to district policy. Thanks to NCLB we teachers have been forced to teach to the test and nothing else sometimes as well. I enjoy my field, but it is very discouraging at times as well.

Anonymous

• I agree too - as a parent, the wife of a teacher and someone who subs @ my son's school. There are problems with public education in our country and there are bad teachers, but now that I've spent time in classrooms seeing all the problems some kids bring to school, I appreciate even more the teachers who manage to educate while having a little fun. And I have to say, even in "good" families, education just isn't a priority. People think nothing of pulling their kids out to go to Disney for a week, keep kids out late at night, don't check homework, etc. I always say that if you're going to make teachers accountable for performance, you need to make parents accountable as well.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Sorry - I should have said I think parents are largely to blame for underperforming students!
    sweetpotato418

• Personally, I think it's a combination. I really didn't grasp what my kids needed to know before they even entered school. Additionally, the grading system in our school district is very different then when I grew up with, so I have less a grasp on where my sons are really performing. Though teachers have been very specific at our school of the homework expectations of the children, as a single mom who works nights, it is near impossible to stick to the program every week. My second grader is currently working his butt off and still underperforming in relation to his peers. I don't blame the teachers but if she thinks I am doing nothing at home, have low expectations, or I don't care, she is dead wrong. It bothers me when people think I must not care and that's why my son is the worst student in the class. I would love to for some of the other parents and teachers to see how hard my son works and how gifted he is.
    happycboys

Answer by happycboys at 5:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• As a former teacher and a parent of 5, I can honestly say for the most part it is lack of parental involvement. I know not everyones life is perfect, and lots of parents are too busy keeping everyone alive to deal with school work. IF that is the case, teachers are here, and you can go to them and explain the situation and ask for help. There is always something you can do. Having said this, it is hard to break a cycle of generations of people who were not raised knowing the value of education, not working with their children before school years, and being so ignorant that they don't even think to ask what they should be working on with their preschoolers. It is unfair to hand a kindergarden teacher a child who for all intents and purposes is "dumb as a box of rocks" and then expect her to preform miracles! I mean that child is only one of 20 some in a class.
    Anonymous