Lutheran Church

My family and I are thinking about visiting a Lutheran church on Sunday. I do not know much about them. I read about the background some. But what should I expect at the service. It it like the Catholic mass? You know what I mean. I tired asking the women on the L:utheran group but it has been a week and i have not gotten any replies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• It all depends on the church. The one I used to go to is similar to a catholic church in regards to the pastor read the prayers and only members are allowed to take communion. Everything else was just like any other church. They didn't kneel to pray, they didn't cross themselves, etc.
    Heidi2512

Answer by Heidi2512 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Lutheran Church is similar to Catholic, however not nearly as "traditional". It is usually an hour service, sometimes informal. But like I said no where NEAR Catholic. There is no praying to the Virgin Mary, or Confession. I personally think it's more personal. I am lutheran and would be happy to answer any other questions you might have. Give me a PM if you want.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My family members are Lutheran and I've been to their church a bunch of times. Their baptisms are not by submersion. The do the water on the forehead. The ask you to go to the altar to take part in communion. Only members can participate.

I personally don't care for it. I believe in Jesus and God but am not allowed to participate in communion because of their "traditions". I haven't read it anywhere in the Bible that you can't take part. It just wasn't for me. I'll stick to plain old Christianity, thanks :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The Missouri Synods are mostly old German ... some even do services in German...
    There is a lot in common with Lutheran and Catholics... differences thou are at 7-8 in the Catholic faith you do communion... not until you are 13-14 in the Lutheran faith can you do this...
    But their services are alot a like... my dh was Catholic converted to Lutheran when he married his first wife... I in turn was raised Lutheran Missouri Synod and now am a Pagan... Wiccan...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• we were catholic when i was little then we switched to lutheran when i was 8 (we still go to church there). it's pretty much like a catholic service except that we did communion every sunday. they're just not as picky about the rules as catholics (at least at my church).
    WesAndNicksMom

Answer by WesAndNicksMom at 4:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• LCMS: http://www.lcms.org/
    ELCA: http://www.elca.org/
    WELS: http://www.wels.org/cgi-bin/site.pl

I didn't have room in my last post to add the web-links to the 3 major Lutheran Churches! Each of them are "Lutheran" but they each have a different outlook and beliefs. So you'll have to know what kind of Lutheran Church the one you are going to is in order to really know what to expect!

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• UGH! I deleted my other post by accident!

It depend if it's LCMS, ELCA, or WELS (Those are the 3 major type of Lutheran Churches)

They are all "Lutheran" but they all have different beliefs and outlooks. For example LCMS and WELS tend to be more traditional and have what most on here have described at a "closed" communion, meaning only members of that church may receive communion. ELCA on the other hand tend to be more "open" and allow anyone to come up for communion!

I've been to LCMS and ELCA churches and their services are very much like a Catholic Mass. The only difference is the LACK of "Catholic" aerobic. (Do I sit, stand or kneel now)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2008