So Ive been debating breast feeding... Any advice?

i know that its the best for baby... my ONLY problem is im kinda scared..maybe even nervous about it.... like engorged boobs?? cracked nipples??? these sound really painful...lol..

I really wanna try though!! I didnt do it for my daughter.. But with this baby i do wanna try... Can anyone give me some advice?? This will be my first time breastfeeding... i heard that its a great way to bond too... And i wanna give my baby the best care possible... is there a way to prevent cracked nipples, engorging..etc?? lol... please ease my mind??

KaylynnsMommie2

Asked by KaylynnsMommie2 at 3:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was lucky enough to never have dealt with any of that. Was never engorged & i never had cracked bleeding nipples & i had TONS of milk.

I will tell you though, that as a mother....it is the BEST mothering experience i have ever had. You will never feel so close & connected to your child. It's just a beautiful feeling. I breastfed for 2 years! The whole thing was an incredible experience & i feel bad for mothers who missed out on it.

You can prevent cracked nipples by keeping them moist with the right kind of nipple creams & you can keep from being engorged by just milking yourself, or by breastfeeding. Women who get engorged are usually women who switch between formula & breastfeeding. If you breastfeed alone, you're less likely to get engorged.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• nurse often. Use lanolin to help keep your nipples from drying out. The engorgement and cracked nipples (if you even get that) doesn't last the whole time. Take a breast feeding class or at least read a few good books on the subject. What used to be a perfectly natural has become a lost art so to speak. Keep in mind if you get started and want to stop then you can totally do that! Nothing says you are locked in once you start. Good for you for wanting to try. It is an amazing experience. I though I would HATE it because I don;t like my breast messed with but I LOVED every min of it and was so sad when we weaned.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Try it and see how it goes. You can always stop if you want. There is a breasfeeding group here that can offer you a lot of support plus your doctor can recommend a lactation consultant. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Do it. It is totally worth it. There's is lots of info about it on the net.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• All I can say is RELAX.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• when i went into hospital, nurse asked if i was going to breast feed, i said i was going to try
    she looked at me weird
    but how do you know until you try
    not like you can compare to anything else
    give it a try, do not put pressure on yourself
    i tried, first night she could not latch, my nipples were huge and she was so small, thought it would never work, but by morning we both were fine and doing great, lactation nurse said i needed no help at all

i did not get cracked nipples, was not painful, never used breast pads, only leaked in am when i woke to her cry
    it was great at night-no getting up to warm milk, bassinet at end of bed-easy to get her, feed her and fall back to sleep

give it a try, and RELAX, it is very natural when you do not put pressure on yourself-you will be surprised how natural it is
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It really is a personal decision..some people will give you a hard time if you chose NOT to do it, but take it with a grain of salt. I always say to atleast give it a try before you rule it out and just have back up formula on hand just incase. Not TOO much formula though, because it may tempt you too much lol Good luck with whatever you decide, and remember that even if you only make it a week, month, few months..atleast you have given your baby a great start.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I learned that BF can be emotional for the most part. You are a new mommy and you need lots of encouragment and praise because your hormones might be unpredictable :) You are not a failure if you want to stop, ok and do not let anybody tell you that! (That is totally personal shhh dont tell anybody) You have a big decision to make. Take a breastfeeding class. You need to educate yourself on the proper way to BF so it will decrease cracked nips and pain. Personally, I thought it hurt even though I was successful and it is a big responsibility for you day and night. GL mama and congrats.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Don't be scared or nervous about things like engorgement or cracked nipples. Those kinds of things don't happen as often as you would think. Engorgement only happens when you're not nursing often enough, so if you decide to nurse and do it regularly, you'll never get engorged. Lanolin helps with preventing dry & cracked nipples. My son is 8 months old and exclusively breastfed. I got a lot of support from LLL. I can't recommend their book enough. Also, when you have your baby, definitely meet with a lactation consultant at the hospital. Breastfeeding is more than just a feeding method, it helps you bond and develop a relationship with your child. And I'll tell you something: breastfeeding makes night feedings a million times easier, because all you have to do is lay the baby next to you, whip it out, and let the baby do the work! ;)
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Get through the first two weeks, and everything will be fine. Don't listen to the "horror" stories. Engorged breasts are easily taken care of, as are cracked nipples. Engorgement - feed baby, or pump, or hand express and cracked nipple - use something like Lansinoh, something like pure lanolin. It works wonders, and is non-toxic.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 3:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010