Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support question.

When is the non-custodial parent supposed to start paying it? When the divorce is final or what? I currently live in the house we bought together, he moved out 6 months ago. I will be moving with the kids soon to a different state and am wondering when he is supposed to start paying it. TIA!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • Your divorce settlement should say.

    Answer by CraftingMama at 3:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • It all depends on your court order. Sometimes child support isn't ordered to start for a few months after the divorce is finalized to help the parent get on their feet, but usually it takes effect as soon as the divorce is finalized. It really just depends on your situation and how well both of you are financially.

    You should request for temporary support. It'll get you some money during the divorce stages and until child support takes into effect.

    Answer by Razelda at 3:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • he should pay from when he was no longer with you, as in when he left. but if he has been helping you with finances it wouldn't be fair to ask that

    Answer by angevil53 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • @ Ange - That of course varies, like if they're agreeing she stays in that house, etc... There are SO many factors that can alter it.

    I'd discuss it with my attorney, and see if temporary support is something you should go after. I would, personally. But I'm not sure how much you all are still sharing, if anything. If none, definitely get the TS.

    Answer by Razelda at 3:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • The day he leaves you can file and start collecting. If you didn't file when the courts order him to. Make sure you back date it to when he left.


    Answer by aitson at 3:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • You gotta check your court order for the specfics

    Answer by EttaMay at 3:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • I filed when I left. The appointment was about 6 weeks after that. They then incluced the amount he owed me from the time I filed and added that to what he would owe me monthly. He decided to give me that amount in one lump sum but he could have had it added to my monthly total a bit at a time.
    If I would have had to wait, it would have really sucked at we couldn't agree on anything and it took two years for my divorce to become final.

    Answer by layh41407 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

  • If you are legeally seperated, and have filed for divorce, the lawyer will put in an order for support, and you should get it before your divorce is final...I did.

    Answer by salexander at 12:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.