Should i tell the truth of Santa

yes when i grew up i believed in Santa and my parents made sure i did..And when i had kids they believed in Santa it all keep on...but i'am single now ....Dont really do Christmas with in end laws anymore...my family lives 5 hrs away...know that i have time to sit back and think without all the outside stuff...and doing what i'v always done..you know i dont know if i want my kids to believe in Santa ...i think i would rather them to believe that jesus being born an the three wise men bring gifts is the reson for the present.....is it wrong for me to shatter there believes....the oldest knows she is 12 but the other is 9 and believes in Santa.....what would you do?

Jayk77

Asked by Jayk77 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is seven, and he flat out told me that there was no santa!!! I was crushed!!! I wanted him to believe for at least a few more years.
    See where your kids are at with the whole santa thing. Your nine year old may already know.
    EttaMay

Answer by EttaMay at 3:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Well if you no longer want to do "Santa" tell your 9 year old the truth. Many find out by that age, so it's not a big deal imo.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• We never did Santa. I personally hate the whole Santa thing & think it's ridiculous. My DD knows the story of St, Nicholas & she knows of the gift of giving. Many confused people ask how i can do such a horrible thing to keep Santa from my DD. But, they always fail to realize that she still LOVES Christmas & is just as excited about it as any other child who does believe in Santa.

Then they say "Well, now your DD is going to ruin it for all the other kids" No she is not...she knows she is not allowed to tell anyone that Sants is not real. I'm also not going to lie to my child about Santa in hopes to keep other kids happy. That's ridiculous.

I say tell them the truth...the whole Santa thing is pretty stupid IMO...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I would never shatter a childs beliefs. If you want to change your tradion with a new child then go for it but i wouldnt ruin it for the others
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My grandma told me when I was 8. Because I begged her and she was kind of a pushover. I wasn't tainted by knowing a little early. But I guess it depends on the maturity level of your 9 year old. If you think she is past the whole idea of Santa, then tell her.
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I agree with steph319
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• They are leading you on, I am sure they are on to Santa!!!!!

Answer by older at 4:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• i betcha he already knows there is no Santa....9 is pushing it, this is around the age when it's pretty simple for them to put 1 & 1 together & realise there is no Santa. I think when you tell him he'll probably say "I know he's not real mom".
    Anonymous

• oh ya you might want to also see where the kids are at with believing in santa. I believed until I was 13 or should I say my mom thought I did. I don't remember how old I was when I stopped believeing, but I remember at 13 I didn't believe santa, but when I talked about him to my mom I said santa cause I was agraid of what my mom might say if I told her I didn't believe anymore lol. So at christmas when I was 13 my mom plain out just told me santa isn't real. Don't tell your sister or brother. That was that. Even though I didn't believe anymore I wish my mom wouldn't have came out and told me like that. So your 12 year old may not believe and just not telling you other wise.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have not met a 9 year old who believes in santa they usually no by then because school ruins it for them
    firechickk

Answer by firechickk at 4:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2010