Military Question.....

this is my opinion I think that a men or woman should have to be 21 in in list...why I feel that to many young lives are lost a man can not go in a bar and buy a beer but can have his life taken away for this country ...or that in the military they should be allowed to drink ...do I make any sense

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Enlisted men are allowed to drink on base as long as they are 18 or older.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I never knew they could drink on base. Huh! interesting.
    Anonymous

Umm, actually I think they did away with a lot of that in the 90's. HOwever the commandant of the Marine Corps issued changes to the service's drinking regulations that allow Marines who are at least 18 years old to drink on base on occasions designated by commanders, including the popular Marine Corps birthday celebrations held in November and at welcome-home parties after combat deployments. I don't think any other service has this, but I could be wrong...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I agree with you!...but then again I also believe we shouldn't be able to give licenses to drive a car to 16 year olds when they can't legally gamble or drink....so instead we have kids gambling by drinking under the age and posing a threat to society with one ton cars...I'm rambling...but it's just a little thought!?
    Anonymous

Not exactly. When my DH was stationed in California, he'd go out with his buddies, but only the ones who were 21 could drink. It may be different on other bases, but that's the way it was with his.

I think those enlisted in the military, no matter the age, should be allowed to drink if they so choose. It wouldn't be that hard to implement. If they went out to a restuarant, they could just show their military I.D. in place of a license.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Both my sons were allowed to and they enlisted in June of 2001--just before 9/11...
    Anonymous

• I think u make sense. It is stupid...(not ur question...they should be older to enlist)
    mommyof2boys813

Answer by mommyof2boys813 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Hubby was allowed at Lejeune when he was 18, his little brother was allowed at Pendelton a few years later. TheGrayArea has it right...
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 2:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• When I was stationed in Italy, the under 21 was able to drink at the clubs on base..It's kind of hard for the US military to enforce the drinking limit when you see 5 year olds doing limoncello shots after dinner like they did in Italy.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I know definately over seas they can drink as long as they are 18 and on base. And I know many bases in America say as long as they are 18 they can drink on base or post.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2008